2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play an instrument?

• Nope!
    • Yes, guitar
    • Yes, piano
    • Yes, drums
    • Yes, violin
    • Yes, but it's not listed here!

I just took up piano a couple of weeks ago (taking one one-hour lesson a week and practicing daily) and thought it'd be cool to see how many people in this forum also play/are learning an instrument :)

I like to think I play guitar but I haven't really had time to pick mine up for more than 5 minutes in a long time.

I just took up piano a couple of weeks ago (taking one one-hour lesson a week and practicing daily) and thought it'd be cool to see how many people in this forum also play/are learning an instrument :)

Should've added an "All of the above" option :)

I played piano for many years when I was in high school, and I want to start again as soon as I live somewhere I can actually have a piano. I played the flute in high school too. I can still play the piano and flute, but not the many other instruments I played in high school.

my username is the brandname of my favorite (out of my 9) guitar

+1 for you. Ever heard of linda Manzer? Someday, I aim to have one of hers...

I play tabla on occasion, and the didge is pretty cool at making the neighbor's dog bark. :D

Wow that's so cool- it seems like a lot of people here play something at least! I've always wanted to be musical but never found anything to get excited about until a few weeks ago when suddenly I got an intense longing to learn piano...within a few days my boyfriend agreed that he wanted to learn as well and we ended up getting a teacher and digital piano within a day or two! Sometimes those spontaneous things work out though- we both love it :D

psychoswim- Have you looked at digital pianos? I live in a small apartment (600 square feet) with two of us and two cats, and we managed to move a couch and find space for an 88-key digital piano, stand and bench with pedal. It's not quite the same as a real piano, but it was cheaper, takes up significantly less space (not to mention is easier to move :P) and has weighted, touch-sensitive keys like a regular piano. I don't know how much room you have but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already!

fourloves- That's amazing!! I've always adored the didgeridoo and tabla, tell your neighbors I can trade them apartments if they don't like to listen to it!

I fail: Fender P-Bass, J-Bass, Tele and Strat, Gibson Les Paul, and a MusicMan Stingray. That's about as typical as it gets, lol. My tele's bad ass though, double humbuckers and 12 guages... I'm not even sure if that's actually a tele anymore though...

+1 for you. Ever heard of linda Manzer? Someday, I aim to have one of hers...

I play tabla on occasion, and the didge is pretty cool at making the neighbor's dog bark. :D

Korg makes some sweet digital pianos, I have one of their minisynths and for the price it packs a lot of punch.

psychoswim- Have you looked at digital pianos? I live in a small apartment (600 square feet) with two of us and two cats, and we managed to move a couch and find space for an 88-key digital piano, stand and bench with pedal. It's not quite the same as a real piano, but it was cheaper, takes up significantly less space (not to mention is easier to move :P) and has weighted, touch-sensitive keys like a regular piano. I don't know how much room you have but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already!

I have something against digital pianos haha. Though I agree it really could be an interesting option if I had the room which I unfortunately don't.

I fail: Fender P-Bass, J-Bass, Tele and Strat, Gibson Les Paul, and a MusicMan Stingray. That's about as typical as it gets, lol. My tele's bad ass though, double humbuckers and 12 guages... I'm not even sure if that's actually a tele anymore though...

coolest/nastiest beast in my collection is an 89 steve vai jem 777vbk. Black with neon green dimarzio pickups, neon green vine inlay travelling up the neck, and a monkey grip handle, yes handle in the body. 24 fret neck with scallops between high frets, floyd rose bridge and locking nuts, this thing is a shred machine. the neck is so thin it has 2 truss rods so it doesn't snap.

shame i don't play much of the neoclassical schtuff anymore so this guys gathering a bit of dust, but it's fun to unleash every once in a while.

Is it the 72 reissue thinline? I used to have one of those back in the day

I checked out some pics and read up on the Vai signature. That's a pretty sweet looking guitar, I've never seen anything like it outside of a Rammstein concert, lol (when I first saw the monkey grip handle I was like huh? At first i was like yikes, but I kind of dig it), the inlay is gorgeous as well, and the scalloping would definitely help if you were a speed player. I can't believe the neck needed two truss rods, the guy at the shop was *****ing at me when I wanted to put 13's on my Tele HH, lol, he kept saying I'd screw up my neck and insisted he put the strings in, so I had him install them and make sure my neck wouldn't spontaneously snap.

How'd you get your hands on an 89', those are pretty rare?

I've had a couple Ibanezes before and they're a great tool in the tool box, I'm not sure if I could ever use one (or an ESP, or other adventurous 8 string Japanese creations, lol - check out Stephen Carpenter from the Deftones, the guy had ESP make him an 8 string with two extra bass gauge strings, double humbucker on Tele style body and a baritone scale, that's just epic, and a bit of an oxymoron, lol... a couple more strings and you can just drop the bassist, lol) as my primary guitar though, I think Teles and LP's have that position for life with the MM Stingray being the go to bass (the Vai signature looks insane though, definitely cooler with insanely more features plus playability than the Ibanezes I use to have, the thing looks stacked).

Way back when I first got serious about guitar in addition to bass I would play lightning fasts scales on the Ibanez, in between some complex palm muting and power chords with the gain cranked... everyone who doesn't know anything about music is like whoa you're amazing (hahaha, no I wasn't, but I'd love to give a thank you to my multi-effects pedal, distortion, and drop d tuning), but it gets boring after a while if that's all you do :D.

Basically, that's how all the Japanese speed stuff ended up leaving me in lieu of the more classic Fenders and Gibsons. Now I try to write really creative stuff, and run it through modelling amps into pro-tools or logic and just add ad-hoc mods. I've been listening to a lot of live Queens of the Stone Age over the past couple weeks and I'm really surprised at Josh Homme's creativity and ecclecticness live, I've also been heavy into NIN the last month after casually listening to them for 10 years, it just blows my mind that Reznor produces everything from top to bottom.

It's funny because it's nowhere near the most physically technical stuff you can play, but trying to write something funky, original, cohesive and catchy that takes the listener on an emotional ride is so much harder. Lol, I should just sit down for a few hours, record 10 guitar and bass tracks, throw in some electric drums, send them to Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Staind, Hinder, Evanescence, Limp Bizkit or some other angry boring band that dominates the hard rock station here and wait for one of the frontman to get in an argument with their rent-a-band-members and send me my quarter million royalty check for laying down a new record to do vocals over in a couple days. Maybe I could even get a touring gig, nothing beats zoning out through a whole Staind concert with the best seats in the house realizing you just played a set on autopilot and got paid for it. I think I'd pop on some Ferry Corsten after to piss off the angry kids in the crowd with the black lipstick and eyeliner.

Anyways, I obviously like music a lot and have been going on way to long about it, lol, I'm not actually angry or anything, I'm just shooting the ****, this is funny stuff, I should just practice more on the microsynth, hire a chick vocalist and do an electronic, house thing, if Benny Benassi can make a career out of rehashing the same 15 tracks over and over (and I love him for it, haha, if I had a dollar for ever Satisfaction or Who's Your Daddy remix I'd be rich) then anything's possible :).

Ok, no more music talk, hahaha.

coolest/nastiest beast in my collection is an 89 steve vai jem 777vbk. Black with neon green dimarzio pickups, neon green vine inlay travelling up the neck, and a monkey grip handle, yes handle in the body. 24 fret neck with scallops between high frets, floyd rose bridge and locking nuts, this thing is a shred machine. the neck is so thin it has 2 truss rods so it doesn't snap.

shame i don't play much of the neoclassical schtuff anymore so this guys gathering a bit of dust, but it's fun to unleash every once in a while.

I have been playing the piano since I was 8, so about 11 years now and I love it. I just got a 1928 Baldwin baby grand piano this year which is replacing my old Kawai electric keyboard. This tone and richness of my new piano is magnificent it was truly a find, it was completely restored by my piano teacher 4 years ago so it is like new.

I also play the alto saxophone - although not lately, I am hoping to join a community band when I have the time for it. Unfortunately my classes conflict with practice times and meeting. :mad:

Fourloves!

I looove tabla, and I really want to start learning in April! Ahh so jealous! Have you ever heard of Prosad? He's a Toronto based sitar and didgeridoo player, he's pretty cool! Another guy to look up who plays tabla is Ed Hanley! He's reaaally awesome too!

Are there people who ever considered being a professional musician? ;)

That would be funny to discuss. My dream was to become pianist, but I started playing piano relatively late. Medicine seems to me the only other field to which I could devote myself. :rolleyes:

Archived