Premed 101 Forums

Going back to school...

Guest syanow

I am a an engineer, about 2 1/2 years out of school. I'm thinking of trying to apply and get into med school. I have most of the pre-requisites, save a couple which I plan on making up next year. My average is probably about a 3.3 GPA, throughout most of my courses. My pre-req's were done in CEGEP back in Quebec about eight years ago. I'm not sure how I sure proceed (I'm planning on applying to UBC). Should I take some more courses to refresh my mind to help with the MCAT's? Should I do two more years of health sciences to bring up my marks? I'm thinking this is something I really want to do, I'm just not sure how to proceed. Any advice is appreciated.

Stuart

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Stuart,

The first, and most important question needs to be:

Which medical schools consider you an in-province applicant?

By definition, that/those schools will be the ones that are most likely to accept you. To determine your in-province eligibility, you need to visit the web-sites of each medical school, and check out their admissions criteria. Those links are available here:

premed101.com/medschools.html

Once you have determined your in-province med schools, you now need to find out what their requirements are, before you can apply. This includes finding out their pre-requisite/required courses, and their minimum GPA and MCAT scores. If you don't have these criteria, then you must either upgrade your transcripts/scores, or move on to other med schools.

Once you've determined all that, get back to us here with which medical schools you are specifically interested in, and we'll try to help you out. However, the first step must be to find out which med schools are most likely to accept you, and then to figure out their application criteria.

For what it's worth, your GPA scores are on the low side, although I'd be the first to acknowledge that an Engineering degree is light-years more difficult than the average Biology degree. Here's some statistical information on UBC's grades for accepted students. As you can see, you really want to have an average GPA somewhere around 80-85% in order for your GPA not to become a hinderance to your application.

premed101.com/stats.html#OALAverage

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived