Premed 101 Forums

Mcat timing . . .

chenoa

Hi all:

Wanted to get some advice on this . . . not many premed friends to bounce this kind of stuff off of, so yay for pm101 :)

I (finally) scheduled an mcat date- June 21. I'm self-studying with a limited science background and have always been prepared to write it again if needed. I'd like to apply to Dal as well as a couple Ont schools.

Anyone know what the last possible date to write the mcat is in order to apply to Dal? For Ontario? Also, if after writing in June, will I be able to secure another seat to write before the Ont (let alone Dal) deadline? I suppose the spots must fill up quick.

I also have the opportunity to go on a short 1.5 week medical missions trip from late July to early August . . . don't know if I should put my application in for that or stay close to home and rewrite the mcat if necessary?? Argh.

From Dal Website: The latest sitting to write the MCAT exam in order to meet the submission deadline for the 2012-2013 application cycle is August 4th, 2012

September 5th – Deadline to submit/release MCAT scores

Please ensure you release your MCAT scores to Dalhousie University. We are unable to completely assess your file unless your results are released from the AMCAS site.

I'm in a similar boat - I have a very limited science background and am attempting to write the MCAT for the first time this summer. I hoped to write it May 31st, but it doesn't look like it's being offered in Toronto on that day so I will be writing June 21st as well. I have read in other posts that it's difficult to get another spot after that for August as they fill up very quickly, however, I'm hoping that's not true as I would like the option to re-write. I can't really offer any advice but I am in a very similar position to you so best of luck!

Thanks, best of luck to you as well nontradhopeful!

Well correct me if I'm wrong but even if rewriting by August 4th wasn't an option we would have until approx 3 weeks before the OMSAS mcat release deadline (ie/ early to mid Sept) to rewrite for Ontario schools? I've never done this before but from what I see the score submission deadline was Oct 11 last year?

What's the latest possible date to write if you're applying to UWO?

I found this a link to this site in a sticky on the UWO board:

http://www.uwomeds.com/prospective/overview.php

Says (in the 4th section of the flow chart) that MCAT scores and the rest of your app should be finished by October 1st.

So I should be ok writing on August 10th? Since it takes a month to get scores (so I'd get them early-mid September).

Just wanted to confirm this info isn't outdated. I tried looking on the official schulich site and couldn't find it.

EDIT: Dassy, I checked that link out you posted. Says I can expect my results back September 11th 2012. What worries me is it took you over 2 months to get your results, and Oct 1 is apparently the deadline for UWO. I'm writing later than you did too, so in the event that I end up waiting 2 months, it might cost me a year. :S

Input, anyone? And sorry to hijack your thread, TC. My Q seemed relevant though.

What's the latest possible date to write if you're applying to UWO?

EDIT: Dassy' date=' I checked that link out you posted. Says I can expect my results back September 11th 2012. What worries me is it took you over 2 months to get your results, and Oct 1 is apparently the deadline for UWO. I'm writing later than you did too, so in the event that I end up waiting 2 months, it might cost me a year. :S[/quote']

Oopps! Super typo lol I meant to write September 2nd (It's fixed now). It only takes 3-4 weeks to get back to you. All Ontario schools allow you to take the MCAT right up until the last day to take it...which for last year was September 11th. They don't mind that it arrives after OMSAS is due, just that you have already written it and expect the results around that time. The only schools (I think!) that care are UBC (which had a deadline of Aug 31 to write) and Dal (deadline of July 31?).

Oopps! Super typo lol I meant to write September 2nd (It's fixed now). It only takes 3-4 weeks to get back to you. All Ontario schools allow you to take the MCAT right up until the last day to take it...which for last year was September 11th. They don't mind that it arrives after OMSAS is due, just that you have already written it and expect the results around that time. The only schools (I think!) that care are UBC (which had a deadline of Aug 31 to write) and Dal (deadline of July 31?).

Thanks for the quick reply. Major relief. Was surprised when I saw Dal required the MCAT be written so early and became worried other schools might have demanded something similar.

Archived