Premed 101 Forums

Long Hard Road (or??)

Guest Skg7

Guest gucio93

Hi there!

Admittedly, it will be somewhat tougher to be accepted with a B average, however it is not impossible. What you absolutely need in this case is a stellar autobiographical sketch (you can see questions from this year on http://www.ouac.on.ca under professional schools ...). If you can present your life experiences in an interesting manner, your application will still be competitive. You could probably apply for next year and see what happens. But if medicine is truly your life's calling, in the meantime you may want to attempt the MCAT - so you have the opportunity to apply to other schools, and as the previous poster stated, you may also think about a Master's degree. In addition, the University of Ottawa does not require the MCAT, so you may want to check out their admission requirements (also available on the site above).

I would really suggest reading the replies previously posted ont he MacMaster thread. Some other posters had similar concerns and I believe you will find an answer to your question there. Good luck!

Guest prodster

Ok, my user name was just too long( previously ILoveThisMsgBoard) so I changed it to prodster. Any how, thank you for the answers. I think I am going to take your advice of taking the mcats and trying other schools also. A masters program might be a little too long, do you guys think that taking some extra courses like anatomy, physiology, biochem etc would count to boost my grade or does it just count as extra classes?

Guest Carolyn

Hi Ian,

Glad to hear things are going so well. We start clerkship in 2 weeks... I'm very excited!

The board looks great - really active.. I'll try to return every now and then and see if I can add anything!

All the best.

Carolyn

Archived