Premed 101 Forums

Candidat universitaire ou marché du travail ??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really boils down to the differences in both cultures' mentality to me :P The English culture is much more focused on wholeness and an holistic approach, whereas the French are focused on equality, which, as future_doc said, is paramount to justice in the French set of mind :)

And the French REALLY like to base their decision on objective criteria. They have to choose those and, unfortunately, it eliminates candidates that could go on to be excellent doctors :(

It really boils down to the differences in both cultures' mentality to me :P The English culture is much more focused on wholeness and an holistic approach, whereas the French are focused on equality, which, as future_doc said, is paramount to justice in the French set of mind :)

And the French REALLY like to base their decision on objective criteria. They have to choose those and, unfortunately, it eliminates candidates that could go on to be excellent doctors :(

Then maybe we should just replace human doctors with robots, they can do better than us academically, so hey must be better doctors than the human ones.

Did you receive your CRL? If yes, is it close to the cut-off?

I had to ask for it, and no, it's not really close... I was close-ish before they switched to a new calculation method. My CRL went down 1.3 points without me being in school. But those new calculation rules basically ruin my chances of ever being considered.

Even when I get a full point for finishing my PhD, it still won't be enough. Which, when you think about it is ridiculous. One point for a masters and another for a PhD. Having done both, I can tell you that those are DEFINITELY NOT equivalent.

Anyhow, maybe in another life...

I had to ask for it, and no, it's not really close... I was close-ish before they switched to a new calculation method. My CRL went down 1.3 points without me being in school. But those new calculation rules basically ruin my chances of ever being considered.

Even when I get a full point for finishing my PhD, it still won't be enough. Which, when you think about it is ridiculous. One point for a masters and another for a PhD. Having done both, I can tell you that those are DEFINITELY NOT equivalent.

Anyhow, maybe in another life...

The funny thing is that they say that they use the data of when you finished. Seems Admission Sante UL and Guy Labrecque are lying to us.

I just asked the registraire's office for the IFDs, Means and SEs for programs I did when I was an undergrad from 1997-2000. I asked them so I can calculate my CRL myself (since they explcitly state that they don't do it).

Let's see what they tell me.

It scares me that they make mistakes as big as it happened for Choupine. If she hadn't called back to ask why there was such a huge divergence between her estimated CRL (By Mr Labrecque) and that calculated for admissions (which led to her being outright refused), she would just have thought that she didn't make the cut.

I'd rather calculate it myself and estimate what I need to do to bring my CRL "up to code".

I just asked the registraire's office for the IFDs, Means and SEs for programs I did when I was an undergrad from 1997-2000. I asked them so I can calculate my CRL myself (since they explcitly state that they don't do it).

Let's see what they tell me.

It scares me that they make mistakes as big as it happened for Choupine. If she hadn't called back to ask why there was such a huge divergence between her estimated CRL (By Mr Labrecque) and that calculated for admissions (which led to her being outright refused), she would just have thought that she didn't make the cut.

I'd rather calculate it myself and estimate what I need to do to bring my CRL "up to code".

No. As Choupine stated in her post, it was her that made the mistake, "Parce que quand j'ai fait ma demande d'admission, je pensais être dans la catégorie universitaires.." She didn't make the cut-off for the university level, but she made it to the working category. Laval is so kind that let her corrected the mistake she made. I think you should be more careful when you start blaming Mr Labrecque, because as we all know he is really a helpful person as a medical school administrator. Hope you can find one like him in the English medical schools, where you think the admission is "fair".

No. As Choupine stated in her post, it was her that made the mistake, "Parce que quand j'ai fait ma demande d'admission, je pensais être dans la catégorie universitaires.." She didn't make the cut-off for the university level, but she made it to the working category. Laval is so kind that let her corrected the mistake she made. I think you should be more careful when you start blaming Mr Labrecque, because as we all know he is really a helpful person as a medical school administrator. Hope you can find one like him in the English medical schools, where you think the admission is "fair".

So maybe Epigirl should contact Guy ASAP so that she can be put in the special applicants category (if she already applied and sent her QAS).

I think you should be more careful when you start blaming Mr Labrecque, because as we all know he is really a helpful person as a medical school administrator. Hope you can find one like him in the English medical schools, where you think the admission is "fair".

Oh, god. You misread me.... I REALLY don't blame him, I think he's the most available and reachable and nice person I've met in the last 15 years I've spent at Laval. And I never said that HE made a mistake.

Yet, I think that somehow, there was a misunderstanding (to say the least). When you apply, the system does not ask you if you want to apply as "universitaire" or "marché du travail", it does so based on the answers you tell the system. How you get evaluated is kind of a black box. I sent a email to Mr Labrecque to ask him to consider me in the "marché du travail" category since I work full time AND study full time (which the system did not allow as a possibility). He was nice enough to say he would take care of it. And he did. And I'm thankful.

Also, I never said the admissions process wasn't fair just because it didn't work for me. I really don't know what is the best way to ensure that everyone deserves a fair shot at getting admitted. It just seems to me that if "marché du travail" and "MD-PhD" categories are worth making (because applicants in those categories are considered somehow different from the other pool of students), then the criteria should be different too. But that is just my opinion. It's in no way a reflection on the quality of the work done by those applying the criteria.

I hope this clears it up.

So maybe Epigirl should contact Guy ASAP so that she can be put in the special applicants category (if she already applied and sent her QAS).

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'll wait next year when my PhD is finished and I have good referral letters. I'll try to have a meeting with Guy to have him help me choose the best way to apply.

Archived