Premed 101 Forums

Matching to FM/EM

Dany

You have 2 years after grad to do the +1.

really? I don't think there is such a time limit.

To be eligible for participation in the Family Medicine/Emergency Medicine (FM/EM) match you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident enrolled in postgraduate year 2 (PGY2) in a Canadian family medicine residency program accredited by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) or hold the CFPC designation.

https://www.carms.ca/en/eligibility-fmem

I think any licensed GP is entitled to apply, it's just that after many years experience, people would prefer to directly challenge the exam rather than going back to residency and have their income drop for a full year.

really? I don't think there is such a time limit.

To be eligible for participation in the Family Medicine/Emergency Medicine (FM/EM) match you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident enrolled in postgraduate year 2 (PGY2) in a Canadian family medicine residency program accredited by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) or hold the CFPC designation.

https://www.carms.ca/en/eligibility-fmem

I think any licensed GP is entitled to apply, it's just that after many years experience, people would prefer to directly challenge the exam rather than going back to residency and have their income drop for a full year.

I stand corrected, things must've changed lately - I haven't looked at this for a few years. Thanks!

Can you reapply for a +1 later on if you fail to get in right after pgy-2? Is that frowned upon?

Google the re-entry program. At least in Ontario, a certain number of residency training positions are set aside. They can be in family, specialties or subspecialties. They are associated with a return of service.

In terms of +1 training, you can do it. However most people choose to not go back to residency.

If you are out practicing, and want more EM skills (or Obstetrics, pall care whatever). You can take time away from your usual job and get the training on your own. Both through self study, conferences and weekend courses and establishing your own mentors (such as at the hospital/clinic you might join). Working half time and learning the other half still gets you better income and independence then a pgy3. It has the added challenge of proving that you are equally skilled, and that a place will hire you/let you use those new skills.

Archived