Premed 101 Forums

To go back to school?????

Guest Allison

Guest Allison

Hi!

I am debating about returning to university for an extra year and would like some advice on my situation. I graduated with a three year biology degree in 2000 with a 3.9 GPA at the top of my class. The only thing is I wasn't planning on applying to med school at the time and in my third year I just took classes I was interested in rather than what med school would be looking for. Unfortunately this may be a disadvantage since I did not have a majority (3/5 classes) at the 300 level. I'm planning on taking another senior class so I'll have 10 senior credits to apply to Mac.

I gotten in touch with Toronto who said they didn't care since I have all the prerequisites. But does anyone know how this will really affect my chances for Toronoto or other Ontario schools?

I'm considering going back for another year to take all 300 or 400 level courses (and hopefully maintain my GPA!)

Allison

Guest ThugJaan

Hello,

Well, you will not be eligible for Western since they have some weired requirement over having 3/5 at the senior level. Also, you haven't mentioned the MCAT, which you will need to write to be able to apply to UofT.

As for the other schools, I would contact them and find directly if you are eligible.

As far as Toronto goes, if they say you are good to go, then you have a farily decent shot. Toronto usually interviews people above a 3.8 GPA (3-year undergrads that is) and as long as you essay is up to par, you should get an interview.

Best of Luck

Hi! I was just wondering if someone could please clarify what "3/5 courses at the senior level" means? This is the first time I have heard of it. How is it relevant to UBC?

Thanks.

I don't think the 3/5 thing applies to UBC. (And if it does, I'm screwed!) :)

3/5 (or 6/10 at UBC) just means that at least 3 out of 5 classes in your last year must be at the 300 or 400 level, I believe.

Was it a Bach degree that you earned? I'm surprised that you were able to graduate without 10 senior classes. Where was it? Congrats on the GPA though, after taking a few more classes the doors will be open for you.

Archived