Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa U Second Undergrad (Health Sci) - Advice ?

Hi all,

So I'm swallowing my life, pride and denial and returning to school in the fall to complete a second undergrad. I will be 25 when I start (gulp). Here are my stats:

-Graduated BSc. Honours Environmental Science, small east coast school, 2009. cGPA = 3.05 (upward trend, thesis)

-Currently completing an MA, public policy (health/environmental) Carleton University, about a 3.85 GPA (course based, full grad scholarship)

-Tons of non profit work in environmental field with lots of research experience in local/international contaminants, water policy, sanitation, human rights type stuff, copy editor for student journal, (all the kinds of things I will continue to pursue)

I need advice on planning my next possibly 4 years. I am very interested in the Health Sciences program at Ottawa U, and Epidemiology. I had applied to epidemiology at Ottawa U this year, and was not accepted, likely due to my poor undergrad cGPA.

So, should I enrol in Health Sciences, and complete the prereqs for meds in 2 years, and then either finish a 3rd year or RE-apply to epidemiology, OR should I do just a general science or undeclared degree and take prereqs plus the health sciences options? The thing is i took a ton of basic sciences (chem bio) in my first 2 years of undergrad, but did very poorly, so I'm basically starting over.

Also, does anyone have any other advice on how I can plan my path?? I realize many applicants with 3.9 second undergrads, and great ECs never get in. Realistically, I want to set this up so I CAN apply to meds, and if I cannot get in, have the option to work as an epidemiologist/in public health, while still applying.

Also, given I will be going back as a 'first year' student, already having an MA under my belt, what work opportunities could there be within the school? ie. TAing or research assistantships?

I love this field and am passionate about it. I could eventually see myself loving internal medicine, endocrinology or working in public health on chronic/infectious diseases if i get the epi under my belt. I believe I have the drive and the will, just need some advice for this long, daunting path.

Hi all,

I love this field and am passionate about it. I could eventually see myself loving internal medicine, endocrinology or working in public health on chronic/infectious diseases if i get the epi under my belt. I believe I have the drive and the will, just need some advice for this long, daunting path.

If this is the case, go for it.

If you didn't get into the program you wanted, you can apply for a general biology program, take the courses for the Epi program and transfer into Epi later if you still want and have the marks.

Make an appointment with an academic adviser to talk about your plan. Especially if you're considering re-taking courses, schools don't tend to like that.

Contact the school about job opportunities.

I graduated from Human Kinetics but choose lots of my electives within the Health Science program. I find that the program is very open and allows you to take your prereqs. I would highly encourage it over a life science program as it there are more 'policy' classes that will allow you to utilize your MA. The con is in my opinion that it is difficult to land a job with it alone but it does not seem to be the case for you. If you are looking for books I have those too! Good luck.

I graduated from Human Kinetics but choose lots of my electives within the Health Science program. I find that the program is very open and allows you to take your prereqs. I would highly encourage it over a life science program as it there are more 'policy' classes that will allow you to utilize your MA. The con is in my opinion that it is difficult to land a job with it alone but it does not seem to be the case for you. If you are looking for books I have those too! Good luck.

Emabrko you are saying the health sciences would be better to utilize my MA? You do have books for health sci courses as well? I would definitely take you up on that, once I have a better idea of what i have to take/ i speak to an advisor.

Also, in your opinion, is this a good path? (2 years health sci), boost GPA to reapply to Epi, eventually possibly the MD? I want to have the grades option once I'm done the epi to apply to meds as well.

Emabrko you are saying the health sciences would be better to utilize my MA? You do have books for health sci courses as well? I would definitely take you up on that, once I have a better idea of what i have to take/ i speak to an advisor.

Also, in your opinion, is this a good path? (2 years health sci), boost GPA to reapply to Epi, eventually possibly the MD? I want to have the grades option once I'm done the epi to apply to meds as well.

I would say that is a wise route. It is one of the only undergrad that has a Epidemiology class in fourth year. I find it is a good for a GPA booster. Just my opinion. If you decide to take that path let me know if you need books. I took some courses and have many friends looking to offload.

Its definitely looking more and more like this. I just don't want to do a 4 year degree. 2 years would be ideal, maybe 3, but again i need to speak to an advisor. I will pm you re: the books once I have a better idea of things. Do you know of anybody else who has chosen Health Sci as a second undergrad for premed?

I would say that is a wise route. It is one of the only undergrad that has a Epidemiology class in fourth year. I find it is a good for a GPA booster. Just my opinion. If you decide to take that path let me know if you need books. I took some courses and have many friends looking to offload.

Also, do you mean good for a GPA booster, as in the health sci courses? Or the program overall?

I would say I am sort of one. I did another year in my undergrad and took only health science classes. I was able to secure an interview at uottawa as those marks replaced my 2nd year that were well below par. I feel many course especially in first year are not as challenging as pure sciences.

Archived