Premed 101 Forums

Do med schools care if you don't take any 400 level courses?

Hi there,

I'm currently enrolling in my 4th year and after making my schedule, I realized I don't have any 400 level courses. Only 4 of 300 level courses, the rest are 200 levels. All the courses I'm taking fits perfectly within my degree (Bsc general). So I was just wondering whether med schools looked at high level courses or just the overall GPA in the degree I'm in. I've heard that they only care about the overall GPA but not sure if that's true.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area?

Thank you for your responses

None explicitly say you need 400 level courses.

Western has their 3/5 rule, where 3 out of 5 full year courses need to be at your year level or higher (this means 3** or 4** level courses in 4th year)

Others say that they expect a progression towards upper year courses as your degree progresses.

Hi there,

I'm currently enrolling in my 4th year and after making my schedule, I realized I don't have any 400 level courses. Only 4 of 300 level courses, the rest are 200 levels. All the courses I'm taking fits perfectly within my degree (Bsc general). So I was just wondering whether med schools looked at high level courses or just the overall GPA in the degree I'm in. I've heard that they only care about the overall GPA but not sure if that's true.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area?

Thank you for your responses

They look at the face value of your GPA to meet interview cutoffs, but eventually they will look at the course levels before final selections which will easily knock you off. I am assuming that you are taking a full courseload, if not you have a very week year of courses (looks very bad).

Also, if you notice competition is increasing every year. At this point, it's very hard to get accepted unless you make yourself look better than the crowd (GPA wise + course selection). So I'm not saying you should take the hardest courses, BUT you need to pick more upper year courses. You nearly zero chance to get into any American Med schools if your taking an upper year like that.

If that's 4/10, then Western won't count your year, and you'll probably run into trouble at UofT as well. If it's 4/5, then you're fine.

yeah UofT won't like it... one year with <60% of the course load being at the current year level is fine but doing it twice will put you at a disadvantage

yeah UofT won't like it... one year with <60% of the course load being at the current year level is fine but doing it twice will put you at a disadvantage

Everytime I called (twice) and asked UT this stuff. they keep saying they don't mind as long as you are working towards your degree.

Archived