Premed 101 Forums

Rejected :( ...suggestions?

jcc89

Hello friends,

I'm a first time poster and have been lurking for about a year. Admittedly, I try to not read these forums because it usually ends up psyching me out, especially after reading stellar stats that have been rejected by various schools. Well any way, here I am posting now looking for suggestions on how I can improve my app, what to do next year, etc. This is gonna be long so please bear with me.

First, here is my story/stats:

First time applying

From Toronto

Graduated in 2011 with an Honors Specialization in Biochemistry

MCAT: 13P/9V/11B Q (33Q) - This is my best score, wrote 2 times before

GPA: OMSAS 3.84 (mucked around in 1st year), U of T weighted: 3.9, Ottawa weighted: 3.89, Last/best two years: 3.91

Essay: Definitely needs more work - too fluffy/creative in my opinion it kinda seems superficial.

ECs: Vice President of two clubs, summer hospital volunteering every summer with children with special needs, dabbled with research in 3rd and 4th year (don't really like it), 4th year thesis, 1 pub but 7th author, intramural sports (hockey and soccer for all my years of UG, water polo in my first year), boys and girls club volunteer for two years, international volunteer for a month (was one of the leaders so had to prep for about half a year (fundraising, asking for medical supplies, etc), not many awards (just the standard entrance scholarships and aiming for the top), job shadowed last summer in stroke rehab, worked for the Toronto Public library during high school, and some other small ECs.

These are the stats that I applied with this year, but was rejected pre-interview. I applied to all schools in Ontario (except Northern) and Dal.

Currently, I have a part-time job as an instructional therapist for autistic children (PM me if you are interested in hearing what this job entails, really cool job IMHO) and I also do private tutoring for high school and university students (couldn't put these on my app because I started them after I submitted). I'm trying to save money to finance my (hopefully) medical education. I work around 20-30 hours a week, and I spend the rest of my free time playing recreational sports with friends, going to the gym, or hanging out.

I'm really passionate about a career in medicine, so I don't want to consider another career. However, I can't help but feel like a failure after all the rejections. I'm just looking for some advice - things I can do to improve my app, or maybe I just need some feel good words... I wouldn't mind applying to the states for next cycle, but I would prefer to stay in Canada. Oh yeah, I don't have an English credit because I was scared it would pull my GPA down.

Suggestions on what I should do? Thank you for reading to the end of this post. All your help is greatly appreciated.

-J

You have competitive GPA but not competitive MCAT.

If you want to stay in Toronto because of family, friends, city, etc, apply for a Master's degree at IMS or something that will help you get into UofT.

If you don't care and you can go anywhere, work on your MCAT. Your VR really needs a lot of work if you want to improve your chances at Canadian schools.

VR is really about exam-taking skills. Everyone is capable of scoring high as long as they know how to. Examkrackers explains this so much better than I can. The amount of blind practice in VR doesn't correlate with your VR grade.

It's more like improving your focus during the exam (like sitting up, orienting your brain so that your sympathetic system is activated so you focus and take in more information that allows you to choose the best answer in VR).

It can be done over 1 or 2 months during the summer as long as your consistent and committed. I highly suggest you follow this path because you have a great GPA, great ECs, and great MCAT scores (in all other areas)

You have competitive GPA but not competitive MCAT.

If you want to stay in Toronto because of family, friends, city, etc, apply for a Master's degree at IMS or something that will help you get into UofT.

If you don't care and you can go anywhere, work on your MCAT. Your VR really needs a lot of work if you want to improve your chances at Canadian schools.

VR is really about exam-taking skills. Everyone is capable of scoring high as long as they know how to. Examkrackers explains this so much better than I can. The amount of blind practice in VR doesn't correlate with your VR grade.

It's more like improving your focus during the exam (like sitting up, orienting your brain so that your sympathetic system is activated so you focus and take in more information that allows you to choose the best answer in VR).

It can be done over 1 or 2 months during the summer as long as your consistent and committed. I highly suggest you follow this path because you have a great GPA, great ECs, and great MCAT scores (in all other areas)

Thanks for the suggestion Preppy. If I take a thesis based Masters at IMS for example, how would I be evaluated? My guess would be on my research productivity?

Archived