Premed 101 Forums

Where to take English

Quester

Hey guys,

I'm planning on taking two English courses next year and I'd like your input on where it would be the 'easiest'.

1. Athabasca

2. Ryerson

3. York

4. Somewhere else?

If you have any suggestions, please share :D

I apologize for my earlier post. I highly suggest you take Linguistics 1000 at York then (i'm not sure if it counts as an english credit) but I know a few people taking the course right now who are getting high 80s. It's apperently just alot of assignments but the ratings on ratemyprof is also quite high for most of the profs teaching the course. Just verify if it counts as an English credit...

P.S. It's not essay based ;)

Once again, I apologize...I was having a bad day and took it out on my post :( I'm very sorry.

Yes of course, common intuition look at the school's reputation and label how difficult it is based on that......so take it at York.

I'm tired of ranting to other premeds how York is alot harder than they think. Just take it at York and let us know how it goes.

REMEMBER: If you can hold a fork, you can go to York. And if you go to a super hard school like Queens, UofT or MAC that are highly reputed in Canada, you'll get an A+ as you can hold a spoon ;)

I'm not bashing about York dude. I've taken courses at York before and I know that they're not 'easy' as people make it out to be. I've had friends take English at UTSG and complaining--obviously, I crossed this school out in the list. Which only leaves me with two schools nearby -- Ryerson and York.

Now, you got anything useful to contribute?

There are two things you might be looking for I think: ability to get good grades and low course load. In any case school would have nothing to do with it, just individual prof and individual class really (English wouldn't be like other disciplines where school reputation matters because the only resource is basically the profs and you actually don't want to smartest profs, you want the easiest ones.) Best advice is check out your prof on ratemyprofs.com before signing up.

All schools have zany, easy, spectacular profs, just check ratemyprofs.com or ask English majors if you have a particular school you prefer. For example just sort ratemyprofs by rating: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectTeacher.jsp?the_dept=All&sid=1408&orderby=TAvgEasy&toggel=true

So you could just check out what Mary Hamilton is teaching next term she got 5 stars in easiness. You could do this for any school with similar results no doubt. =) My advice would definitely choose whatever university appeals to you the most and find the easiest prof teaching first year courses. Good luck and enjoy your English classes! I hope you find some interesting reads out there. =)

Another piece of advice is just straight up say to the prof at the start of the term: can I easily get an 80% if I do the readings and show up to class?

There are two things you might be looking for I think: ability to get good grades and low course load. In any case school would have nothing to do with it, just individual prof and individual class really (English wouldn't be like other disciplines where school reputation matters because the only resource is basically the profs and you actually don't want to smartest profs, you want the easiest ones.) Best advice is check out your prof on ratemyprofs.com before signing up.

All schools have zany, easy, spectacular profs, just check ratemyprofs.com or ask English majors if you have a particular school you prefer. For example just sort ratemyprofs by rating: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectTeacher.jsp?the_dept=All&sid=1408&orderby=TAvgEasy&toggel=true

So you could just check out what Mary Hamilton is teaching next term she got 5 stars in easiness. You could do this for any school with similar results no doubt. =) My advice would definitely choose whatever university appeals to you the most and find the easiest prof teaching first year courses. Good luck and enjoy your English classes! I hope you find some interesting reads out there. =)

Another piece of advice is just straight up say to the prof at the start of the term: can I easily get an 80% if I do the readings and show up to class?

17111180.jpg

wouldn't profs be offended by that? lol

From 3 schools you listed above, I think Ryerson would be the best place to fulfill the English credit. Although, is there a reason why you don't want to take English at your own school?

Yes of course, common intuition look at the school's reputation and label how difficult it is based on that......so take it at York.

I'm tired of ranting to other premeds how York is alot harder than they think. Just take it at York and let us know how it goes.

REMEMBER: If you can hold a fork, you can go to York. And if you go to a super hard school like Queens, UofT or MAC that are highly reputed in Canada, you'll get an A+ as you can hold a spoon ;)

I don't understand why there's a need for you to rant. The main reason why many York premeds on this forum chose York over other reputable universities (assuming they were accepted to multiple) to begin with seems pretty obvious.

From 3 schools you listed above, I think Ryerson would be the best place to fulfill the English credit. Although, is there a reason why you don't want to take English at your own school?

I'm graduating this Spring, so it's more cost efficient to stay in Toronto for a year-- hopefully not longer.

Archived