Premed 101 Forums

Wow, we're so similar! I'm also living in Alberta right now (Edmonton), and speak some french. I have no idea how decent my chances are of getting in to either school - I've got a gpa around 3.6, and my background is unrelated to OT, or healthcare at all. If I don't make it in, I'll also continue taking more courses over the next year and get some volunteer experience. Which school do you prefer? Do you have any idea of which program is more competitive? (I've tried private messaging you, but it doesn't seem to be working!)

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone heard anything from McGill re: interviews? I would have expected the first round of interview invites to have been sent yesterday to give people enough time to respond before sending out additional offers same week. Anyone hear anything?

Still haven't heard anything either. There are a few days left, so we'll see! I'm hoping that Quebec residents are getting letters today or tomorrow...? maybe they are sent apart from letters for OOP candidates, but that may be wishful thinking.

In any case, congratulations to TompsonGirl and OhGeeOT! I'm from Montreal, so if you guys need any advice about the city, let me know.

Received an invite this afternoon. So relieved.

OhGeeOt -- the Qualifying Year is entirely for those with Bachelor's degrees in unrelated areas. Those with a B.Sc in Rehabilitation Science (the former OT undergrad program) enter the MSc directly. The qualifying year is just to catch the rest of us up.

Not sure what GPA is considered competitive, but your experience and your motivation can compensate for a weaker GPA. The GPA requirement could vary. If you have a weak GPA you may be competitive as long as there's a notable upward trend. People here have reported receiving interviews with 3.4s, so something in that ballpark is probably competitive

You do not need to have shadowing with an OT (I don't), and I think patient hours are sufficient (this is what I have). Then again, I think Tompsongirl wrote that she has no experience in health settings, so you may not even need patient contact hours, just a compelling letter and strong references.

I think the most important question to ask yourself is why are you a good fit for OT and how can you convey that to the admissions committee. There are no hard and fast rules for anything else...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived