Premed 101 Forums

Sickkids Research or Job with Pharma Company?

Lmfaodot

Hi guys,

I don't really post here, but I am a second year chemical engineering student with a 3.7 (not the best compared to the 3.9+ people I've found here).

I recently got a job with a pharma company to do engineering work like check equipment/validation/write reports. I was looking forward to this till a Sickkids professor emailed me out of nowhere saying someone dropped out of the contract and he needs a volunteer. I had emailed him in like December and completely forgot.

I'm not sure which one I should take...reserach is amazing (I already have 8 months worth of it) and the pharma company isn't a big name like Sickkids.

I think both would open doors for me. Only difference is that I think I would enjoy reserach much more than a desk job, but it doesn't pay. Though, I can do research anytime during school and should at least give engineering a try (in the field I mean).

I'm heavily conflicted. Any suggestions would be really helpful! My goal is medicine though I enjoy both reserach and engineering.

Hi guys,

I don't really post here, but I am a second year chemical engineering student with a 3.7 (not the best compared to the 3.9+ people I've found here).

I recently got a job with a pharma company to do engineering work like check equipment/validation/write reports. I was looking forward to this till a Sickkids professor emailed me out of nowhere saying someone dropped out of the contract and he needs a volunteer. I had emailed him in like December and completely forgot.

I'm not sure which one I should take...reserach is amazing (I already have 8 months worth of it) and the pharma company isn't a big name like Sickkids.

I think both would open doors for me. Only difference is that I think I would enjoy reserach much more than a desk job, but it doesn't pay. Though, I can do research anytime during school and should at least give engineering a try (in the field I mean).

I'm heavily conflicted. Any suggestions would be really helpful! My goal is medicine though I enjoy both reserach and engineering.

I would choose the job.

You already have 8 months of research. That extra 3-4 months is not going to do much for your application, to be honest. And volunteering for what is typically a paid position is really not motivating or practical. This research isn't going to make your application any stronger, unless you need a reference letter. But even then, that is a TON of work just for a letter.

I would get more experience in your backup field. It'll give you some perspective about your field of study and a back up option if medicine doesn't work out. Who knows? You may even come to love it. And being paid is always nice.

Hi guys,

PS. That "big name" is the wrong mentality for getting into medicine. Adcom doesn't care what you do or where you do it. They just want to know that you have done something and grown from it in some way. The name "SickKids" is not going to open a door, especially with the role you will be given.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived