Premed 101 Forums

Do surgeons have control over their workload?

Get over yourself.....

I don't really care if you like CABGs. Or what your career plans are. Or if you are enthusiastic about a procedure. I merely pointed out that when you are the person making decisions or performing surgeries in the middle of the night it's not as fun as you think. Statistically, it's well proven emergent surgeries do worse than planned surgeries. Add to that middle of the night mental fog and physical fatigue. Now add on the fact that you have minimal back-up, no other staff around, limited services like radiology and ICU (both of which are run by residents overnight) and you have a recipe that makes it easy for things to go poorly. Its all well and good as a med student to be working at night because you don't have any real responsibility for patient care, but it's different as a resident and staff. Mistakes are easier to make and the consequences magnified. I don't know a single resident, myself included, or staff who enjoy operating or making serious decisions overnight. It increases the risk of poor outcome, and you shoulder the burden of that outcome.

CABGs are great. Cool procedure, I'm glad you enjoy them, but I am telling you now, you wont look forward to the emergent cases overnight.

Obviously you have more experience working nights and with surgery in general than I do. But I've got lots of time to become cynical, jaded, and worn out... so for now I'll be enthusiastic. Discussing whether or not I will enjoy procedures at a certain time of the day was not the purpose of this thread. I assume you are either a practicing surgeon or a resident, and I would appreciate a response from you addressing the original question :)

do you go to u of c :) :) :)

Obviously you have more experience working nights and with surgery in general than I do. But I've got lots of time to become cynical, jaded, and worn out... so for now I'll be enthusiastic. Discussing whether or not I will enjoy procedures at a certain time of the day was not the purpose of this thread. I assume you are either a practicing surgeon or a resident, and I would appreciate a response from you addressing the original question :)

Based off my gen surg rotation, I thought the attending hours were pretty reasonable. They would show up at 7am for their first OR cases of the morning. They would usually round/do clinic in between cases, and the last case would usually finish up by about 4pm. I don't know how much call they did, but there were about 10 in the group.

I've done a cardiac surg rotation and didn't find they worked crazy hours either. Most days they had cases in the morning but were finished by early afternoon (which meant I got to go home too), and did their rounding. Some days they would be stuck quite late for long surgeries like LVAD or even BiVAD placements. One day we had 2 heart transplants within 24 hours, and so we were stuck at the hospital for at least 30-40 hours. Overall though an average day was maybe 10 hours for 5 days/week.

Archived