Premed 101 Forums

2nd Degree for Engineers

What do you want the second degree for? If you just want to stay in school a bit longer you could consider a masters? Do you want it to be related to engineering? Why only 2 years? Maybe give us some more info so we know why you are asking :)

Also what was your engineering degree actually in :) Transfer credits are the way to go and it would depend on that!

Hi,

Thanks for replying :), my degree is in bioengineering, I'm trying to think of another degree that would give me enough transfer credits to finish in around 2 years? Most of the engineering degrees are really similar and it's hard to get alot of transfer credits other than doing another degree in engineering but I could probably finish that in 1 year, a program that has a higher class average would be great as well. Any suggestions would be great, thank you!

Are you doing it to try and bring up your GPA?

Hmmm I am in engineering at Western, and other than the common first year we have no overlapping courses between the disciplines, although it might be different at different schools. And if you are doing this to try and bring up your GPA I agree with you that eng might not be the best idea :rolleyes: It's hard without knowing more about your situation :P

With bioeng did you have to take some biology/chemistry/orgo courses? Could you get some credit for that and do some sort of biology or science degree? I know chem eng's at Western take orgo.

Otherwise I'm not exactly sure, eng is such a hard one because we have almost no outside electives. Science is kind of the next closest thing.

rmorelan - will Western or other school that calculate your GPA based on your best 2 years or last 2 years use marks from courses that were taken not towards a degree? i.e. if you get a degree, then go back for 2 more years and do really well, can you use those marks while still meeting the honours degree requirement? This is just for my own curiosity :P

Are you doing it to try and bring up your GPA?

Hmmm I am in engineering at Western, and other than the common first year we have no overlapping courses between the disciplines, although it might be different at different schools. And if you are doing this to try and bring up your GPA I agree with you that eng might not be the best idea :rolleyes: It's hard without knowing more about your situation :P

With bioeng did you have to take some biology/chemistry/orgo courses? Could you get some credit for that and do some sort of biology or science degree? I know chem eng's at Western take orgo.

Otherwise I'm not exactly sure, eng is such a hard one because we have almost no outside electives. Science is kind of the next closest thing.

rmorelan - will Western or other school that calculate your GPA based on your best 2 years or last 2 years use marks from courses that were taken not towards a degree? i.e. if you get a degree, then go back for 2 more years and do really well, can you use those marks while still meeting the honours degree requirement? This is just for my own curiosity :P

Once you start a new degree ALL the years considered for your application must come form that new degree. If I am recalling correctly that degree must also be an honours degree and you do have to finish it prior to entry.

Now Queens on the other hand accepts your last two years, and nothing they have says that must be from the same degree :)

If I finished a second degree, would the courses that I take need to be required for that degree for Western? Example I need to take 20 courses, not all are available every semester so some semesters I may need to take a couple filler courses to meet a full courseload, would that count for Western?

Also for Western's BESc/MD program, are there a number of seats that are reserved for those students? Also do you know about the number of students that apply from that program?

Do you think it would be possible to apply to Western's BESc program and apply to the joint BESc/MD program either the same year or the year after? I have 1 year that would meet Western's cut offs, I'd love to go to Western seems so hard so many rules :).

Thank you both so much for your replies!

haha I am in the BESc/MD program (well I am waiting for May to see if I am accepted), so I can answer questions about the program. ;)

To do BESc/MD I think you would have to start a new engineering degree, if they allowed you to do that (not sure they would). Once you finish engineering you are no longer really eligible. The main benefit of the program is that you can apply to Western med a year early (after 3 years instead of 4). There are no other advantages - you are competing against everyone else, there are no seats reserved at all for people in this program. There are a maximum of three spots held, but are usually not filled. Last year 2 people applied through the program, one was accepted, one rejected. This year I am the only one (others did not do well enough on MCAT). Look at questions 3, 4, and 5 here http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/specialprogramsfaq

If you are done engineering, though, I don't see the benefit of this program even if you were allowed to start a new engineering degree. You can apply to Western with an engineering degree because there are no specific science prerequisites. :)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the post above that one - for Western there is a requirement about taking a certain number of courses at or above your year level. But otherwise most programs do have elective courses so you can take whatever you want if that's what you are asking?

Hey There,

I'm doing the same thing right now to boost my GPA. I have an undergrad and M.A.Sc in Electrical Engineering but my undergrad GPA isn't fantastic (3.3). So I'm entering into my 3rd year of Biological Engineering and will be able to get a second degree in 2 years (or less). Most engineering programs have college transfer bridges into year 3 so it should be straight forward to switch (as long as the disciplines are distinct enough). Also the first 2 years of most (if not all I'm not sure) programs are identical so you SHOULD already have credits for the first 2 years.

J

Hey There,

I'm doing the same thing right now to boost my GPA. I have an undergrad and M.A.Sc in Electrical Engineering but my undergrad GPA isn't fantastic (3.3). So I'm entering into my 3rd year of Biological Engineering and will be able to get a second degree in 2 years (or less). Most engineering programs have college transfer bridges into year 3 so it should be straight forward to switch (as long as the disciplines are distinct enough). Also the first 2 years of most (if not all I'm not sure) programs are identical so you SHOULD already have credits for the first 2 years.

J

Are you saying the first 2 years of all engineering disciplines at your school were the same? That's weird lol! Western has a common first year, but a lot of schools make you start discipline-specific courses in first year.

Hey silverwhale9,

Yep; at Dalhousie anyways it's same for the first 2 years (that's where I'll be doing my second undergrad degree). I did my first at Lakehead (as a college transfer) but I was under the impression the first 2 years were the same (except maybe a few courses). I know UVic (where I did my masters) also had the 2 year thing with a college transfer... but I might be wrong

However I'm entering my 3rd year of BioEng at Dal with an Engineering Degree and the Dean seems to think I can get it done in less then 2 years since their first 2 years are all the same (inter-disciplinary courses and math). and I have some 3rd and 4th year common courses done (more Math and Law and Ethics etc).

It might be different at other schools. I know for example UofT doesn't allow you do get a second undergrad degree in Engineering from their school if you have one already (from any school including their own).

Hey silverwhale9,

Yep; at Dalhousie anyways it's same for the first 2 years (that's where I'll be doing my second undergrad degree). I did my first at Lakehead (as a college transfer) but I was under the impression the first 2 years were the same (except maybe a few courses). I know UVic (where I did my masters) also had the 2 year thing with a college transfer... but I might be wrong

However I'm entering my 3rd year of BioEng at Dal with an Engineering Degree and the Dean seems to think I can get it done in less then 2 years since their first 2 years are all the same (inter-disciplinary courses and math). and I have some 3rd and 4th year common courses done (more Math and Law and Ethics etc).

It might be different at other schools. I know for example UofT doesn't allow you do get a second undergrad degree in Engineering from their school if you have one already (from any school including their own).

That is actually really interesting. I mean, I guess some courses could be transferable even if they aren't the same (for example at Western the disciplines take different calculus courses in second year, but they might let someone get away with not repeating that if they did a second eng degree). When did you choose your discipline then?

I wonder what they do somewhere like Waterloo, where you start your discipline in first year?

Archived