Premed 101 Forums

New OMA notice - cuts to fees

Oh no, I might be taking a 20k paycut and only making 5 times the national average salary instead of 6, time to cut off all relations in the country that funded my med education and go off to US..

And the US is increasing med school enrollement, and I don't think their are so eager to get flooded by Canadian physicians.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been wasting a couple good hours of valuable studying time just reading reader comments under various news articles. It looks like McGuinty's system is working, using cataract surgery as a good screen to possibly cut GP pay significantly. It's just interesting seeing the different perspectives (or lack thereof) that people have. You have some doctors saying that you will no longer be able to be a family doc and build up a very successful career. Some people are saying docs (including GPs) had this cut coming. A lot of people are quoting cuts in various public sector jobs and saying that docs as "public sector employees" should face the same wage cuts. The government's done a pretty good job of masking the difference between gross and net pay, looks like a lot of people don't get that a doctor doesn't actually get to keep all the money they bill the government for.

I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. This is about wait times increasing because of the incentives created by the paycuts, and expecting the same healthcare as you did before with a significant paycut to physicians.

I also find that the same people that complain about wait times also complain that their doctors aren't spending enough time with their patients. So somehow, a doctor is supposed to find a way to fit more patients into their schedule, spend more time with each patient, and get paid less for doing both of these things.

I also find that the same people that complain about wait times also complain that their doctors aren't spending enough time with their patients. So somehow, a doctor is supposed to find a way to fit more patients into their schedule, spend more time with each patient, and get paid less for doing both of these things.

yup...and pay overhead and CMPA fees and be involved in staying up with current research by paying out of your own pocket for being a member of a professional association and attending conferences and pay for equipment and rent and secretaries/techs/nurses (in clinics)...

yup...and pay overhead and CMPA fees and be involved in staying up with current research by paying out of your own pocket for being a member of a professional association and attending conferences and pay for equipment and rent and secretaries/techs/nurses (in clinics)...

dentists charge few hundred bucks an hour

lawyers charge few hundred bucks an hour

the reason why there's wait times and shorter time with doctors is because of the public nature of the system

if doctors were private and could charge a few hundred bucks an hour like the other private professionals, there would be less problems with spending a shorter time with a doctor -- you just pay for your hour and you get your hour.

People don't realize how much they would pay to see a doctor for an hour because there is absolutely 0 price-reference in Canada. People just think they pay lots of taxes -- so deserve lots of time with doctors

How bad has McGuinty been for doctors?

This, then the Physician Assistant idea, then the possibility of pharmacists/nurses to prescribe.

or do you guys think that the other things might be positives?

Pharmacists prescribing will create a conflict of interest.

Nursing is there to complement the role of physicians, not to replace them.

PAs are not bad for physicians, because they depend on the physician. You could enslave them. (not saying it's a good thing)

Archived