Premed 101 Forums

Gen Surg and research

Guest RedBull33

Guest RedBull33

I'm wondering how much research experience first year residents have under their belt. Is it general surgery - specific? How important is it as a medical school student applying to the programs?

I know this is a fairly broad question, and I know that having research (pre - or during med school) helps for any residency, but also know that in some uber-competitive specialties research specific to that field is basically a prereq.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Research in any field is a bonus, especially if it is related to the field that you are applying to! Often times it isn't (nor has to be), but it nonetheless looks pretty sharp on a residency application, even if it was just research that you did as an undergraduate student.

That said, research is not something that is imperative to have in order to match to general surgery. Lots of people match to general surgery every year without having any research in the field, but if you can get it, it will make your application all the more competitive (so long as you don't muff up the interview, of course!).

And yes, you are right- some specialties pretty much have research in the field as a pre-requisite. Derm, plastics and optho spring to mind. Fortunately, general surgery isn't one of them!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I'm going to be applying to Gen Surg this year and I've heard directly from some Gen Surg Program Directors as to the importance of research in the CaRMS application process. At some schools, i.e., seemingly the more academically-oriented, e.g., UofT or McGill, research within the field is considered a great asset to your application. Likewise, at UofC, if an applicant has completed research within the field, it will carry a decent bit of weight in the selection process. However, if you look at the CaRMS descriptions for other Gen Surg programs, e.g., Memorial, it is a factor that is stated not to carry much importance at all.

In general, for the CaRMS process, the value of research within a field varies depending on the residency type to which you're applying and also, the specific program offering that residency spot. For this reason, it's almost impossible to make a universal statement regarding the importance of field-related research (or any research for that matter) in the application proces.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived