Premed 101 Forums

Applying FROM med school

setto

Hey everybody,

I am heading off to medical school this fall. My family would much prefer I went to school in Montreal and would like that I apply again while in my first year. I know that there is no possibility of transfer but am I actually eligible to apply? Would I have to err..."omit" the fact that I am currently in medical school?

Any help would be great, thanks a lot folks!

UdeM doesn't accept applicants from a Quebec med school, I don't know about McGill. But transfer is not availible.

As for lying, don't take adcoms for fools. Even if they don't manage to know immediately, they may be able to figure it out in the future (maybe you will tell one of your "close friends" about it, and he will end up selling you). Since you're already in, why take the risk?

Your family's wishes where you go are totally irrelevant and if you follow their poor advice, you deserve what will happen to you. On the other hand, if you do not follow through on the acceptance you now have in the hope that you willl be accepted in Montreal next year, you have proven yourself to be a fool. Worse still if you apply while in med school as you will end up selling items at WalMart. You have been given a gift and a privilege of acceptance. You are able to finance your education from a LOC. You are an adult. Do what a mature adult will do to create your future and forget about your family's wishes that will put you in harm's way.

Hey all, many thanks for the replies.

I will be attending a medical school outside of the country, just to clear that up. As far as transfers, I'm aware that they don't happen, which is why it would only be temporally (and fiscally) logical to apply in my first year. I will be attending medical school in Europe (i have dual citizenship) but the financial burden is somewhat hefty on my family so they would prefer I stay here. But their, as well as my, thought is along the lines of Future Doc's, I'm not going to sit around and wait to win a lottery when I have an acceptance, so taking the year off isn't really in the cards for me.

Also, it's really not in my personality to lie. lol I would for sure crack under the committee's pressure! So my understanding (as per the responses thus far) are that I can apply considering I will be at a foreign medical school?

Thanks again!

Your family's wishes where you go are totally irrelevant and if you follow their poor advice, you deserve what will happen to you. On the other hand, if you do not follow through on the acceptance you now have in the hope that you willl be accepted in Montreal next year, you have proven yourself to be a fool. Worse still if you apply while in med school as you will end up selling items at WalMart. You have been given a gift and a privilege of acceptance. You are able to finance your education from a LOC. You are an adult. Do what a mature adult will do to create your future and forget about your family's wishes that will put you in harm's way.

Very well put. I appreciate it!

Hey all, many thanks for the replies.

I will be attending a medical school outside of the country, just to clear that up. As far as transfers, I'm aware that they don't happen, which is why it would only be temporally (and fiscally) logical to apply in my first year. I will be attending medical school in Europe (i have dual citizenship) but the financial burden is somewhat hefty on my family so they would prefer I stay here. But their, as well as my, thought is along the lines of Future Doc's, I'm not going to sit around and wait to win a lottery when I have an acceptance, so taking the year off isn't really in the cards for me.

Also, it's really not in my personality to lie. lol I would for sure crack under the committee's pressure! So my understanding (as per the responses thus far) are that I can apply considering I will be at a foreign medical school?

Thanks again!

I don't think there will be a problem if you're outside North America. But if you want to attend McGill, you will need to have completed a bachelor degree in case you don't have one. Also, you may still be able to apply after your first year, except that you will have to start from scratch. Plus, if you can't get into North America, and are dead set on coming back to Canada, know that Canada recognizes FM in Ireland/UK, and a lot of French residencies are recognized in Quebec.

I don't think there will be a problem if you're outside North America. But if you want to attend McGill, you will need to have completed a bachelor degree in case you don't have one. Also, you may still be able to apply after your first year, except that you will have to start from scratch. Plus, if you can't get into North America, and are dead set on coming back to Canada, know that Canada recognizes FM in Ireland/UK, and a lot of French residencies are recognized in Quebec.

Well I'm not exactly dead set on coming back to Canada. I'm very interested in Medicine, so no matter where I end up I'm (fairly) sure i'll be happy. I do have a bachelors but I didn't really do it in the typical pre-med sense (part time a few years, full time last two years - family stuff blah blah excuses blah blah). I finished with a pretty solid GPA and a nice MCAT. I think I'm going to give it a shot, get all my paper work and LORs together before I move away.

Also, I didn't know about the FM being recognized, that it great news. Thanks for the info!

You cannot apply to McGill if you already are in medschool.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/transfers

I don't know if it's the same for the other schools, but I bet it is...

You should send e-mails to medschool to make sure you can apply next year. We do not know everything here and we could be misleading you^^

BLAM! Well that shut me up! haha thanks for the Info, yeah I'll contact McGill directly. I know a current doctor who applied in his first year in Poland and then restarted at McGill but that was a while ago and the times they are a changin'

Would the same apply for an Irish school, or are you just speaking out of experience?

In Canada, you canNOT apply to a med school once you are in a Canadian med school. I assume the same applies if you are in a US med school, but do not know that for sure. I know of two Canadians in Caribbean med schools who applied to Canadian med schools and received interviews. I would think the same would hold true if you go to an Irish med school. I would certainly apply disclosing as one must all my transcripts and let the chips fall there they may and I would think the applicant would be treated strictly on the merits like other competitive applicants.

In Canada, you canNOT apply to a med school once you are in a Canadian med school. I assume the same applies if you are in a US med school, but do not know that for sure. I know of two Canadians in Caribbean med schools who applied to Canadian med schools and received interviews. I would think the same would hold true if you go to an Irish med school. I would certainly apply disclosing as one must all my transcripts and let the chips fall there they may and I would think the applicant would be treated strictly on the merits like other competitive applicants.

Sounds good. I will definitely fully disclose. a) because it's not worth the risk. B) Worst case scenario they say no and I'm still studying what i love.

Thanks for the help everybody, going to call McGill, case closed :)

Just throwing this idea out there... but if you and your family have your heart set on McGill, why not see if you can defer the international acceptance for a year?

Spend some time beefing up your application for Canadian med schools, and potentially save tens of thousands of $$$ in the process if you get in and you avoid moving.

If you don't get in, then all you have lost is the one year and you move on to plan B.

That's the way I would do it.

• 2 weeks later...

certain american programs have transfer programs, but you have to meet special criteria, i.e. health issues, a bunch of other stuff but there are a bunch more etc. the schools are pretty cheap too, like 22 k, so apparently you can transfer from canada to us, maybe there are programs that accept general transfers too. irish schools are cheap if you have dual eu citizenship too, my doc wanted me to go to her old school for a long time since i get cheap tuition… if u pay full price i'd run for the hills, or at least a second mortgage at 30, lol.

Archived