Premed 101 Forums

resident transfers

Guest pistachio

Guest pistachio

I'm curious to know more about transferring between programs. There's been some discussion about transferring inter-provincially, but what about at the same school? Are some programs easier to transfer into than others? And does anyone know about the process other than contacting the postgrad. office--are there interviews etc? How many residents are successful/unsuccessful?

Information/anecdotes about transfers would be much appreciated. thanks

pistachio

Guest Valani9

I've only heard from people who've done it, so this is all second-hand.

Apparently, you have to speak to the program director of the program you're leaving, and of the program you want to enter. It's easier to switch from one 5-year program to another (i.e. may be harder to go from family, because of government funding, or something).

I've heard that, if you really aren't going to be happy in the program you're in, and if you really want to do something else , then they may be accomodating.

Good luck.

Guest therealcrackers

I would disagree with Valani9. Speak to PostGrad Ed first; find out if there's a specific contact person for such transfers. Check the websites of the PostGrad Ed departments at each school. Their policies may be posted.

Guest Paregorics2

Funding can come from several sources: Small community (you agree to return for X amount of time after you are done residency), Program itself, an investor, bank etc....Remember, medicine is a business and there is a shortage of all types of physicians, in various communities.

Look into your various options - do your homework. Find out how much funding is for the program you are interested in. Dont be fooled by people telling you it's difficult to transfer. Every program wants to expand they just dont have the financial means. That's where your homework comes in handy.

goodluck

Archived