Premed 101 Forums

Do undergraduate premed marks count for residency applications?

Guest Don Corleone

Guest Paregorics2

For some competitive specialities, who specifically ask for undergrad marks, it serves as a tie-breaker for 2 closely matched applicant with regard to ranking process.

I know one of the specialties had to use undergrad marks last year to determine who they would be ranking first. BUT, first ranked doesnt necessarily mean that individual will pick their school. More competititive schools dont use undergrad transcripts - which is kinda weird.

My vibe is that they use it to weed out geeks - if u did well in first 2 years of undergrad, you had no life. Jokes.

hope that answers your question

Guest Valani9

Undergrad marks? That's just ridiculous. That's a very clear indicator that a selection committee is not doing its job properly. If they need to resort to that to make a decision about applicants, then they need to rethink their selection process.

Not that any of it matters anyways- most med students had pretty damn good marks in undergrad.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I know that for anaesthesia, there was one program that required an undergraduate transcript (McGill). I'm pretty sure that all they used it for was to see if you had a degree conferred or not rather than using it to look up marks in individual courses for purposes of comparison against other candidates. Not sure about other programs and how they employ undergraduate transcripts, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of them would use for the same purpose.

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

Regarding this, I'm not sure if it's a new thing to some programs this year, but there were at least 3 programs that I checked out which require a copy of the undergrad transcripts. When I spoke to one Program Director about it they noted that they do look at the marks for assessment purposes, i.e., to rate one applicant versus another. They also noted that they do this as, in general, the medical school transcripts often don't tell them much at all, i.e., they're mostly H/P/F or P/F.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to H/P/F...how do they compare students who go to schools that give out honours to those that do not? Do they request class rankings from your school?

What I am getting at...is there any point busting your chops to get 90s when someone else who got 60s will have the same number of Ps as you? (Other than for personal pride)

Hey,

What I am getting at...is there any point busting your chops to get 90s when someone else who got 60s will have the same number of Ps as you? (Other than for personal pride)

I say that there isn't and things worked out really well for me! Actually, I worked a lot harder in the last 2 years of medical school than the first 2 with this specific scenario in mind. Since it seemed that a lot of programs didn't put too much stock in pre-clerkship marks, I can't really complain.

Besides, if you got all 90s in pre-clerkship and there's a bunch of clerkship evaluations saying that you don't ever show up for anything or that you just suck on the wards, then that would carry a lot more (negative) weight than stellar clerkship evaluations and mediocre pre-clerkship grades. Plus, they don't usually take attendance in pre-clerkship, so your not showing up then won't come back to haunt you- bwhahahaha (evil laughter).

In regards to H/P/F...how do they compare students who go to schools that give out honours to those that do not? Do they request class rankings from your school?

Hi there,

They can request class rankings from schools, but not all schools keep these statistics--our school doesn't. I suppose the H/P or H/P/F system might be one factor that prompts certain schools to request pre-med university transcripts.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived