Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected, 2012

Hey All

In anticipation of tomorrow, I figured we should get one of these threads going. Please post your stats here. Let's try to keep this to the numbers as much as possible, save discussion for another thread. That makes it easier to sift through :)

The standard format seems to be:

Invited/Waitlisted/Rejected

GPA

Context

ECs (a brief overview)

Comments

I encourage all you lurkers who have never signed up or made a post to please throw down your stats, as we all know us PMers LOVE to over analyze everything, and the more numbers the better :)

In a few days we should get a wait list movement thread going too, once we all know our positions on the wait list.

I have not been given an initial offer of acceptance...

Waitlisted??

GPA 3.59

Born in T-bay, lived in SO for 8 years, recently moved back

EC - campus response, community activism

Not sure by the email if it's a rejection or a waitlist placement, I guess I have to wait (GAHHH MORE WAITING) for the letter in the mail.

I am sorry to hear about your response. I don`t want to burst your bubble but in an attempt to give you(and others) some peace of mind, in previous years not getting an initial offer meant you were rejected...sorry about that.

I wasn't given an initial offer either and the email said nothing about a waiting list - last year when I was waitlisted it said so in the email. I'm very confused! Curious to know if anyone out there actually got an email saying they were on the waiting list!

Best of luck everyone!

check the attached document

Accepted! This is a dream come true.

GPA: 3.89 (NOSM calc.) - UG x 2 degrees, MPH grad degree

ABS: Registered Dietitian in N.O with First Nations (FN) x 6 yrs, LTC Clinical RD/Nutrition Dept manager at FN LTC x 1 yr, community based research in FN, Indigenous Research Development Fund Program scholarship/research allowance ('09), Canadian Foundation for Dietetic Research new researcher award ('09), preceptor x 4 yrs to NOSM dietetic interns, volunteer fire dept x 5 yrs, ICU volunteering x 2 yrs, Community fitness center Vice president board of directors x 3 yrs, ++other hospital volunteering, +employment in hospital, etc, etc (Im in my early 30s, Ive been around for a while)

, NOSM faculty - Lecturer status :cool:

Context: Northern Ontario x 6 years.

congrats, which campus??

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you Real Beef!!!!!!!!

I've finally accepted today that it's going to take me a while before I get into medicine and your stories and persistence and now success make me feel like it can happen.

Best of luck!!!

And taiga gal, I'm sorry to hear your news as I was hoping things would work out for you too! I hope you continue to stay positive and keep reapplying. Good luck to you too!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you Real Beef!!!!!!!!

I've finally accepted today that it's going to take me a while before I get into medicine and your stories and persistence and now success make me feel like it can happen.

Best of luck!!!

I really appreciate your hooray for me :o I wont thread jack but this is my fifth time applying over the span of 11 years (working on plan B) and will be turning 34 yo a month before the start of classes. It can be done, I am just a normal person.

I really appreciate your hooray for me :o I wont thread jack but this is my fifth time applying over the span of 11 years (working on plan B) and will be turning 34 yo a month before the start of classes. It can be done, I am just a normal person.

Congrats. Your persistence finally paid off. Its great to see someone as eager as you finally gets into med school. Wish you all the best :)

Wow, you're an inspiration Real Beef! Congratulations!

Rejected this morning

4th year applicant:

GPA: 3.94

ECs: varied, long and short term, medical related and personal interests. Do things you enjoy and some things that give back

Interview: NOSM puts on a good interview day, fair and organized

Advice to future applicants: I am a non-NO applicant (from area in Eastern ontario, index score 41). Other than growing up in the sticks (although many northerners wouldn't call it that lol) I had limited volunteer/life experience with remote areas and NO. If you are interviewing at NOSM I feel its extremely important to be familiar with their mandate and vision, look over your CV and life experience and convince yourself why you are a good fit for NOSM, and carry this attitude into the interview. NOSM is looking for a particular type of student and you need to believe you fit that mold, and convince the interviewers of such.

Congrats to all accepted and best of luck to waitlisters. Was very impressed with NOSM during my visit, great school with a great vision of service to its patient population.

I'm a long-time lurker but thought I should post my stats.

First year applicant, Francophone

GPA: 3.8 with Health Promotion Undergrad

EC's: varsity athlete, tons of volunteer work in and around Sudbury, lifeguard/swim instructor, 2 publications

Thought the interview went very well. Bombed one station but I guess it didn't matter! Questions were very interesting and I really enjoyed the interview process.

Applied: NOSM, McMaster

Interviewed: NOSM

Accepted: NOSM! Super shocked that I would get in the first time around. Attending NOSM East.

Guest Braces4810

Well, seems like I'm not getting in this time round. My sincere congratulations to all that succeeded in this round! :D

GPA: 3.83 at time of application. Biochemistry and physiology double major at UTSG.

Extracurricular: Political, community health, and other assorted things

Big congrats to you :)

Accepted! This is a dream come true.

GPA: 3.89 (NOSM calc.) - UG x 2 degrees, MPH grad degree

ABS: Registered Dietitian in N.O with First Nations (FN) x 6 yrs, LTC Clinical RD/Nutrition Dept manager at FN LTC x 1 yr, community based research in FN, Indigenous Research Development Fund Program scholarship/research allowance ('09), Canadian Foundation for Dietetic Research new researcher award ('09), preceptor x 4 yrs to NOSM dietetic interns, volunteer fire dept x 5 yrs, ICU volunteering x 2 yrs, Community fitness center Vice president board of directors x 3 yrs, ++other hospital volunteering, +employment in hospital, etc, etc (Im in my early 30s, Ive been around for a while)

, NOSM faculty - Lecturer status :cool:

Context: Northern Ontario x 6 years.

I will be accepting my offer to East Campus.

I don't post on here often but I thought I would give my info as well, in case people are curious.

I only applied at NOSM, this was my 3X applying, was on ranked wait-list in previous years. This year I was placed on the reserve wait-list.

I'm from a small town in Northwestern Ontario, have lived here for 25 years aka my entire life. Have lots of volunteer experience in remote communities and reserves, volunteer work at a local clinic and work at for a health care provider in my community. I have also attended grand rounds with NOSM students that do their CCC in Kenora. I also have sports activities and involvement with the arts and alternative youth programs in my community, overall a well rounded sketch.

BSc Honours, GPA is low, 3.3. But thought my interview went very well and would have received a very high, if not the highest possible context score.

I don't want to go into too much detail, and I think I have described this in a previous post, and am trying not to dwell on the negative. But the way that NOSM evaluates your application, GPA is extremely important. Basically you are given a score out of 10 based on your GPA, 3.0= 0/10 3.5 = 5/10 etc. Context is evaluated based on population as well as proximity to larger cities. The sketch and essay are evaluated by different people and it is up to them to get an overall opinion of you and decide your score.

If you were unlucky like me and were rejected or placed on the wait-list you can contact NOSM and although they will not give you specific feedback on your application, they will explain the admissions process and give you general direction. I did that last year, and applied once more, knowing that despite some very strong aspects of my application, I could not overcome my GPA.

Good luck to all the wait-listers out there!

Accepted!

3.82 gpa (omsas calc); arts degree w dbl major biology; working on arts master's (4.0 gpa)

rural northern ontario childhood, cities since high school

fairly good volunteer experience: regular hospital stuff, as well as some long-term non-hospital stuff that shows initiative and all that.

fairly good employment experience: random jobs plus skillset hospital based jobs.

Interview was good. I spent the last 6 wks ruminating over my bad answers, but they were outnumbered by my good answers. Certainly not a perfect interview, but I left confident and happy.

No interviews anywhere besides nosm.

Ranked waitlist last year at nosm.

Also, if it makes you feel any better. I have a friend, who last year was rejected and this year didn't even get an interview.

Here's what I know about her...(We did our undergrad and masters together)

Above 3.9 GPA (She won the Chancellors' award at our undergrad graduation)

From a town with less than 1000 people

Volunteered at an aboriginal community center

Won a national women in science award for her master's research

and is genuinely one of the kindest people I know.

She was accepted to U of T for Med in the fall.

I think the main thing is that a lot of people who deserve to get in to med school do, but a lot of people who deserve to get into med school don't. There are a lot of opportunities out there in the world and you can't let setbacks like this discourage you from achieving great things. Good Luck with your future too, Tagia Gal!

Although NOSM doesnt put a lot of emphasis on GPA, being 1/3 of pre-interview score and 1/6th of post-interview score, with so many excellent applicants being seperated by very small increments you cant really afford to lose ground in anyone of those areas ... GPA included.

As often discussed in the non-trad subforum it may be worthwhile for people with lower GPAs to consider a second degree (doing it in 2-3 years) or finishing a 1-2 year masters ... ? I kicked my MPH in the teeth and was bumped the extra 0.2 all of which I felt I needed to be competitive. I did it for further career progression but you can also bet your favorite underwear that I did it for boosting my med school application as well. For those with time on their hands it is a no brainer even though it may feel like a step backwards. Honestly tiny incremental increases in other areas (i.e. volunteering) probably wont make the difference between reserve waitlisted and gaining admission but GPA may make one closer.

It will be interesting to see what the average GPA of the entering class will be because it was very noticeable that some people who were rank waitlisted last year or previous years ended up being rejected (reserve waitlisted) this year. Which makes me feel that this year NOSM had a particularly strong applicant pool. For example it was touted that NOSM had the only med school applicant pool that increased in number this year while other schools had fewer applicants than last year.

As I have posted before the very first time I applied to Dal med school I was wait listed while the following two years I was rejected. I was told the first year had a particularly weak applicant pool which always made me aware that just because I was waitlisted one year or ranked a certain number (i.e. number 10) there is no guarantee that if I improve everything on my application that the next year I would be further closer to admission because teh followin year it will be a whole new 2000 people who as a group could be stronger or weaker than the previous year. Furthermore the admissions committee collectively could be slightly different in their assessment of your application. What triggers a nod in two essay assessors one year may shake the heads of next year's assessors the next. It is a tough process. I certainly do not feel superior, only lucky this year. Good luck to those that wish to continue the struggle to gain admission.

Beef

Archived