Premed 101 Forums

pharmacy at U of A

farmboy

Hey guys, first time poster here!

Just looking for feedback, applying to U of A next year with a pre req gpa of 3.5 and last 2 years gpa of 3.6 with a finished B.sc degree in biological sciences (hopefully!) The only thing I was wondering is my overall gpa is low a 2.5 because of immaturity and personal problems in the first couple of years. Will I still have a shot? Thanks everyone!

Yeah, last two years are emphasized. I'm applying for Pharmacy next year too. On their website, 3.5 is recommended but it all depends on the amount of applications and people applying.

You definitely have a shot and should apply. Pre-Req GPA of 3.5 is pretty good. I still have to do OCHEM II and BIOCH next year.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys!

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.81 in B.Sc (Biological Sciences) from the University of Calgary. I applied to pharmacy this year and apparently my application was rejected. I was shocked but at the same time realized that I did not spend a lot of time on my letter of intent. Is letter of intent such a crucial component of the application?

Hey Guys!

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.81 in B.Sc (Biological Sciences) from the University of Calgary. I applied to pharmacy this year and apparently my application was rejected. I was shocked but at the same time realized that I did not spend a lot of time on my letter of intent. Is letter of intent such a crucial component of the application?

What was your pre-requisite GPA? That plays a role too. I'm shocked regardless.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I know that UofA has a very comprehensive application procedure, and on their website it even says that someone with very good grades can get rejected over an applicant with not so great grades but a stellar letter of intent (and I think personal profile?). It's likely that the lack of effort in your letter of intent impacted their admission decision, which sucks because you have great grades!!

Also, I believe they weigh the personal profile as 10%, letter of intent as 30% (or is it the other weigh around?), and then your GPA holds a weight of 60%.

I say you totally apply again next year, either at UofA making sure to put time and effort into your application, or apply to another school as I know with those grades you shouldn't have issues getting in! :)

Archived