Premed 101 Forums

The 2012 Waitlist

Hey guys got my regrets after waitlisted email today :( I'm super down right now. 86.11 adjusted 85 without adjustment. 38 naq score and an above average interview. I also have a balanced 30 mcat. I have no idea what to do for next year, or how to improve? I volunteered a lot this year and was involved at high levels in a hospital. Maybe that will get me some more points in naq? Thoughts?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys got my regrets after waitlisted email today :( I'm super down right now. 86.11 adjusted 85 without adjustment. 36.5 naq score and an above average interview. I also have a balanced 30 mcat. I have no idea what to do for next year, or how to improve? I volunteered a lot this year and was involved at high levels in a hospital. Maybe that will get me some more points in naq? Thoughts?

I'm sorry to hear that monty, I was really hoping for you! Your GPA and NAQ are great, and obviously your interview was too. I think the only thing you can really improve on is the MCAT... I'd say if you could get mid thirties you'd be in for sure... now that we know it's worth 25% post-interview (unless they decide to change things again this year), it really does have an impact and even with an above average interview I guess it can take you down. I know that's probably not what you want to hear as the MCAT is the worst test ever, at least I hated it that much, but I think that's one of the ways to make yourself better. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that monty, I was really hoping for you! Your GPA and NAQ are great, and obviously your interview was too. I think the only thing you can really improve on is the MCAT... I'd say if you could get mid thirties you'd be in for sure... now that we know it's worth 25% post-interview (unless they decide to change things again this year), it really does have an impact and even with an above average interview I guess it can take you down. I know that's probably not what you want to hear as the MCAT is the worst test ever, at least I hated it that much, but I think that's one of the ways to make yourself better. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. It's crazy to think that as an IP applicant with good EC's, a decent gpa and an above average interview that I'm not competitive enough for a seat. I won't be writing the mcat this year so it is depressing to think that this will probably take another 2 years unless my naq shoots up by a few points. I am a nontrad, did an arts degree first which actually brought my gpa down lol.

Thanks for the input. It's crazy to think that as an IP applicant with good EC's, a decent gpa and an above average interview that I'm not competitive enough for a seat. I won't be writing the mcat this year so it is depressing to think that this will probably take another 2 years unless my naq shoots up by a few points. I am a nontrad, did an arts degree first which actually brought my gpa down lol.

Hey monty (and everyone else that received sad news today),

I haven't posted in this thread before, but I've been following it obsessively this whole time. This is my third time applying and I got my official regrets today too, so I guess it's onto my fourth. Let's not despair. In the grand scheme of things, a few years is nothing. If I had figured this out sooner, I think I would've spent my last two years very differently. Consider it as a gift (I know..roll eyes..) it's an opportunity to grow and do everything you wanted. Don't hold back and do things only for med school, there will be plenty of time for that when we're in med school. Of course med school is the end goal, but there is no real rush, we'll all get there eventually. Use this time as a chance to do what you always wanted (...other than med) , you'll look back in 10 years and it won't be something you regret.

On another note, congratz to all of you who have gotten in, waitlist or not. It is definately a hard trek: mentally, physically, and emotionally draining. I really look forward to meeting and working with all of you someday.

-kari

Hey monty (and everyone else that received sad news today),

I haven't posted in this thread before, but I've been following it obsessively this whole time. This is my third time applying and I got my official regrets today too, so I guess it's onto my fourth. Let's not despair. In the grand scheme of things, a few years is nothing. If I had figured this out sooner, I think I would've spent my last two years very differently. Consider it as a gift (I know..roll eyes..) it's an opportunity to grow and do everything you wanted. Don't hold back and do things only for med school, there will be plenty of time for that when we're in med school. Of course med school is the end goal, but there is no real rush, we'll all get there eventually. Use this time as a chance to do what you always wanted (...other than med) , you'll look back in 10 years and it won't be something you regret.

On another note, congratz to all of you who have gotten in, waitlist or not. It is definately a hard trek: mentally, physically, and emotionally draining. I really look forward to meeting and working with all of you someday.

-kari

Hey Kari,

That is good advice, keep in touch for the up coming cycle I hope to have you as a class mate and colleague. This isn't my first app either. Eventually they have to say yes right? Haha. Anyway, good luck to all those still waitlisted.

Hey Kari,

That is good advice, keep in touch for the up coming cycle I hope to have you as a class mate and colleague. This isn't my first app either. Eventually they have to say yes right? Haha. Anyway, good luck to all those still waitlisted.

Exactly. Eventually, they have to say yes. You are very, very competitive from the sounds of it. If you wanna compare notes or anything, just pm me... There are a few things on my app I don't wanna disclose as they could be identifiers, but anything I can do to help gear you up for the net app cycle I'd be happy to. Just keep banging on the door... Three+ years if you have to! There are so few seats compared to qualified applicants that the wait listers are all competitive, I think.

Exactly. Eventually, they have to say yes. You are very, very competitive from the sounds of it. If you wanna compare notes or anything, just pm me... There are a few things on my app I don't wanna disclose as they could be identifiers, but anything I can do to help gear you up for the net app cycle I'd be happy to. Just keep banging on the door... Three+ years if you have to! There are so few seats compared to qualified applicants that the wait listers are all competitive, I think.

Thanks! I'm hoping the waitlisters are all competitive. We made it into approximately the top half of those interviewed so that means something I suppose. I will take you up on that PM. I am moving right now, but I will definitely be in contact. Congrats on getting into the SMP! I want to go there as well, maybe I will see you as a seasoned 2 yearx

For those of you still remaining on the wait list there is still hope...I have just accepted an offer to the NMP!!!Beyond thrilled right now as I completely thought this was the end of the road for me for this year. I had until July5th to accept the offer. Good luck to everyone still waiting I know how painful it is! And for those that were declined keep on trying and you will get in somewhere eventually!! Also some hope for low-ish MCAT scorers...29Q. It is possible! I had a lot of long term volunteering&extra-curricular activities as well as a strong rural background which probably strengthened the NAQ section. Good luck to all & can't wait to meet some of you in August!

Congrats on getting in - am I misreading or are you and your sister both heading off to NMP? I remember reading it in an earlier post that your sister was offered NMP? That would be awesome going to school with your sibling if that's the case! Congrats to you and your sister! :)

Archived