Premed 101 Forums

EK vs Princeton VR

Unknown786

Hi everyone,

I am practicing VR using both EK and TPR. However, I tend to find EK relatively easier compared to TPR in terms of both their passages and their questions. I find EK question much straightforward and easy to answer (2 choices can be eliminated right away). Also, I believe that TPR includes more appplication, deduction and incorporation type questions, whereas EK questions can be answered usually with the basic understanding of the main idea of the passage (I struggle with the application, incroporation type questions!). Which one mirrors the real MCAT more and what type of questions tend to predominate the real MCAT?

P.S. I did not want to look at the practice MCAT tests yet since I believe they are valuable resources and I want to save them for later, once I am ready.

Thanks in advance!

I'm on the same boat as you... I need lots of practice with integration/application type questions.I haven't looked at EK, but like you said, TPR seems to be doing a gook job with application type questions (for PS and BS too). I was also wondering if I should go get some EK books or just stick with more TPR practice stuff... don't know which is better :(

Personally I found that TPR was more accurate to the AAMC practice tests and the actual MCAT when I wrote. The EK passages seemed pretty simple to read and but the actual questions could be really tricky and I didn't always find that the answers were intuitive even after review. TPR material is more challenging to read but I think that if you can adapt to their style, the questions are somewhat more straightforward and less subjective. I'm sure people have other opinions but if I had to recommend one over the other I'd go with TPR (although you can never practice too much for verbal). Hope this helps!

What about with the other topics? I have downloaded EK books, and was impressed with their procedure at the beginning of the verbal book (including lecture 1). Conversely, I find their Physics quite bad. I guess I could consider the Kaplan's too... but I could also use EK with my old science textbooks, but this would not really help me on calculator-less problems..

Archived