Premed 101 Forums

matching to Psych

Hard to say specifically, I was glancing over the cARMS stats today but couldn't find any information about specific programs at specific schools so I will take a guess at it.

My guess would be not very difficult. Those are the most popular and largest psychiatry programs but historically psychiatry has always been undermatched with quite a few unfilled spots. If you know ahead that you are interested in psychiatry and build your application towards that you should have a pretty good shot at picking the program and location you want.

If you decided to change to psychiatry last moment you probably still have a really good shot at getting one of those schools but maybe not the one of your choosing.

You shouldn't have to rank too deep to match in psychiatry somewhere and I think if you want psych you have a good chance at your program of choice. It's really hard to tell though, even with match lists, because you don't know how far down people's rank lists they went. We had a lot of our psych matches stay at UWO, but we had one U of T psychiatry match this year that I know of.

While psychiatry overall is typically not competitive and has numerous unfilled spots throughout the country even after the second round, those three schools historically fill their numbers immediately (especially UofT) as they are arguably the strongest programs and in desirable locations...okay maybe not Hamilton.

If you're serious about applying and hoping to get into any of those, I would try to do electives in each place to get your name out there and have some references to back you up.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

there's differences in teaching philosophy that make a difference. u of t is unrivalled if u want to have a multidisciplinary approach, cultural exchange programs, extensive psychotherapy training with great psychologists on staff, their child psych exposure is great too… they have such an eclectic and diversified approach, with so many resources you cant get elsewhere. call is 1/8 years 2 n 3 yr 5 1/16, i forget yr 3.. but yeah… ubc also has a really good program

You shouldn't have to rank too deep to match in psychiatry somewhere and I think if you want psych you have a good chance at your program of choice. It's really hard to tell though, even with match lists, because you don't know how far down people's rank lists they went. We had a lot of our psych matches stay at UWO, but we had one U of T psychiatry match this year that I know of.

mac ya, u of t no, they love to see lots of psych electives and long term stuff that indicates sincere interest… they turned down a guy who matched to gas instead even tho he wanted psych…

If you decided to change to psychiatry last moment you probably still have a really good shot at getting one of those schools but maybe not the one of your choosing.

there's differences in teaching philosophy that make a difference. u of t is unrivalled if u want to have a multidisciplinary approach, cultural exchange programs, extensive psychotherapy training with great psychologists on staff, their child psych exposure is great too… they have such an eclectic and diversified approach, with so many resources you cant get elsewhere. call is 1/8 years 2 n 3 yr 5 1/16, i forget yr 3.. but yeah… ubc also has a really good program

That's amazing call.

Archived