Premed 101 Forums

As anyone ever done worse in their 2nd degree than their first?

I'm in my third year of my 1st undergrad at UWO. I have always been interested in Computer science, but avoided taking senior level courses in math/programming because I was worried that they would be too hard and difficult to get a good grade in. However, I am starting to regret it. If I don't get into medschool after 4th year and I have time to kill, I thinking about doing a 2nd undergrad in bioinformatics purely for interest sake. Given that I have a lot of the requirements already, I should finish in 2 years. The problem is I'm worried I might do worse in my 2nd undergrad and medschools will only look at that. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

People usually do way better in 2nd degree due to the fact that they have a clear goal to pursue. Knowing you are spend these extra years, Make the best of it.

Has it happened - sure, people have made mistakes in selecting their second degree or "life happens".

That being said as ziweiwu says it is rare - you know more, you select the right degree, you avoid tough courses or at least know what you are getting into and generally are just more serious about everything.

Archived