Premed 101 Forums

GPA/Percentage conversion

Hi, first off to anybody who responds to me thank you for taking the time to answer me. I am currently enrolled in high-school and was wondering how does the GPA(letter grade scale) compare to percentage scale. I would prefer answers for Alberta as that is where I am attending high-school and was wondering what grades I need to get a good GPA. If this helps at all I would like to take the Neuroscience program at University of Calgary.

Hey Corey,

I just finished my third year of neuro at UC.

At Calgary it is usually at the discretion of the prof of the course to decide the percent to letter grade conversion (Ie. some classes 80+ = A, some classes 85=A, some 90=A). For your general science classes (bio, chem, physics, etc) it'll most likely be around 85% for an A. The specific neuro classes are mostly around 90% for an A, and since you'll be taking quite a lot of psych classes 90% for them as well (except maybe intro psych).

You can find the conversion table here, on page 16: http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%20final%20Aug%202.pdf

That being said, this table is for converting grades from schools that use percentages instead of gpa (UBC, for example). In my case (and in the cases of most of my friends) high school grades were not very similar to university grades, so be cautious of making assumptions :) Hope that helps!

You can find the conversion table here, on page 16: http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%20final%20Aug%202.pdf

That being said, this table is for converting grades from schools that use percentages instead of gpa (UBC, for example). In my case (and in the cases of most of my friends) high school grades were not very similar to university grades, so be cautious of making assumptions :) Hope that helps!

The dreaded undergraduate 15 or whatever...? :P

15% drop in grades and 15lb gain in weight (or something to that effect)

but yea, I believe that table is for when you are applying to the Calgary Medical school so if the university you're at is grading you on percent instead of letter grade you know what Calgary will convert that percent to.

but if you do undergrad at Ucalgary you only get a letter grade on your transcript (Ie. it will work like i mentioned above).

=)

Archived