Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Scores on your 1st Mock test?

BlessedSoul

Well I did my mock Mcat test yesturday by TPR and I got: 4B, 3VR, 8P and a J on writing sample. I'm a bit worried about how I performed and whether it's possible to bring those up :(

So my question is, what were your guys score when you guys started out?

I started out with a 7P, 8V, 9B, R. That being said, I have taken half a year of Physics, a full year of Orgo, and a full year of Anatomy. So a lot of it was review, which helped. Don't worry too much - I ended up with a 37R, so your marks do go up after buckling down and knowing the material.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can definitely improve; you haven't even studied yet. They probably make the 1st mock test harder to make you score lower because they have a money-back guarantee if you don't improve by 10 points.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can definitely improve; you haven't even studied yet. They probably make the 1st mock test harder to make you score lower because they have a money-back guarantee if you don't improve by 10 points.

It's the writing sample that worries me....I didnt even know if it was possible to get a J o.O

writing sample is arguably the easiest section of the test, provided you know basic grammar and syntax. all you have to do is pump out the generic argument with some decent analysis, so i wouldn't sweat getting a J on your first test. and yes, it is possible to get a J, just as it's possible to get a T. they are, of course, rare. still, it's not crazy to get one on your first test. plus, it's not actually an aamc marker marking your test (or at least i don't think it would be). while companies can have excellent guesses, they aren't perfect. but yeah, if you aren't strong at english, then maybe it will be a struggle simply because you'll have a tough time getting your idea across. but, just from reading your posts, it doesn't look like you're weak at english in any substantial way. thus, it's probably just going to take some practice to get used to the formula of those essays and the level/type of idea that markers want to see. i wouldn't worry just yet.

Do you have prep books? The writing sample isn't even about whether you are a good writer. It is whether or not you can follow a very set structure of sentences and paragraphs. If you don't have a strategy for WS yet I liked the Princeton books I used. There was a very clear strategy/structure to follow that made it pretty easy (because you just follow the same plan for every WS). There is a thread on here you can post on and someone will review your WS you could utilize.

Oh on my first MCAT I got 5 PS 7 VR (didn't get to 3 passages) Q 4 BS. You will improve for sure, just keep working at it! :)

Pretty sure I had 6/6/7 on my first mock test. It's not really indicative because you haven't started studying any of the material yet. Every test I wrote I slowly went up points and I ended up with a 34R. I also agree that the writing sample isn't completely dependent on your writing. Even if you're not a great writer, if you can follow their rules you're likely to get at least a P or Q. You'll learn all about the tricks and stuff in your course. Don't despair :)

Archived