Premed 101 Forums

Failed MCCQE 1

I just found out that I failed the MCCQE 1. I am a CMG and have a residency position for this July in Canada.

Can someone tell me if there are any consequences for this. Ie. Do I need to get orders and prescriptions co-signed by staff.

Thank you.

Contact your postgrad office to double check but as far as I'm aware there are no consequences of this, besides the obvious expensive and annoying re-write. As long as you have a CPSO number you should be fine to write prescriptions (under the auspices of your supervisor, of course) - I got my CPSO number before the LMCC results came out so I don't think one relies on the other.

Sorry to hear that, it's an ambiguous test, you'll pass it the second time no problem!

I heard it's program dependent and some residents told me they've seen people require co-signs (personally never seen this).

Ya the whole if you fail LMCC you need things co-signed is a myth. You have a license from the regulating authority in your province to work as a resident physician under the supervision of staff. You do not need the MCCQE Part 1.

Although, in order to work independantly, you do need to pass MCCQE 1 & 2. So eventually they need to be passed

I heard it's program dependent and some residents told me they've seen people require co-signs (personally never seen this).

that is correct. since the PD gets the exact score and breakdown, they can decide what protections they would like to put in place. I've seen people have to cosign outpatient scripts, with nosignature required for inpatient orders. I've seen others have to get everything cosigned. For most, there are no repercussions.

Ya the whole if you fail LMCC you need things co-signed is a myth. You have a license from the regulating authority in your province to work as a resident physician under the supervision of staff. You do not need the MCCQE Part 1.

Although, in order to work independantly, you do need to pass MCCQE 1 & 2. So eventually they need to be passed

I think I've seen initial MD licenses have conditions restricting you to work within your residency program.

Sherbrooke too, can't start residency until LMCC part 1 is passed, since it's required to receive your diploma, and can't do residency without an MD in your pocket.

Maxime

Well, at Laval you can start on August 1 if you pass their so-called practice LMCC exam in july.

Which is ridiculous since the actual rewrite is in October.

So basically, you get a few extra weeks to study and a month delay on your first paycheque, once most of us have already committed to leases, mortgages, car payments etc...

so the whole "no MD before LMCC pass" is stupid

• 2 weeks later...
that is correct. since the PD gets the exact score and breakdown, they can decide what protections they would like to put in place. I've seen people have to cosign outpatient scripts, with nosignature required for inpatient orders. I've seen others have to get everything cosigned. For most, there are no repercussions.

What evidence do you have that PDs get the exact score breakdown of your MCCQE?

Archived