Premed 101 Forums

Too good to be true? RBC Line of Credit

I just finished chatting with an agent at RBC, and I felt that the deal was way too good to be true. Here was what the agent said

*250K max, no limiter (i.e you can take all that out at once if you want)

*Interesting only for medical school AND residency (including any fellowship you might do) (??)

*One year Grace after you finish all your training (residency and fellowship INCLUDED). I specifically asked about fellowships, and my agent said yes.

*Collection (principal + interest) begins after the grace period at prime still (Open loan (i.e you can make large payment at any time you want) but set at 15 years)

* Any funding you get from bursary/scholarship/OSAP is NOT deducted from your maximum 250K funding.

--For TD, you need to start paying your principal one year AFTER MEDICAL SCHOOL. For RBC, you need to pay back one year AFTER MEDICAL SCHOOL AND RESIDENCY/FELLOWSHIP.

Sounds too good to be true for me. Can anyone verify what my agent said?

Comparison

TD: *Max 200K. Limiter set at 60K/year max

*Max 200K is what they allow. If you have OSAP/scholarship/other loans they deduct it from the max 200K

you can borrow

*Payment of principal beings one year after medical school at prime for interesting and 1% for principal

RBC: *Max 250K. No limiter

*OSAP/scholarship/loans are not deducted from the max 250K you can borrow

*Option to repay principal after completion of ALL training (med, residency, fellowships...etc).

Any downside to RBC's plan? Any suggestion for credit card?

TD requires principle payment one year after residency as well. You just have to talk to the right people, which are few and far between.

The RBC plan is standard. It can also be converted to a Professional Personal Line of Credit after residency, which only requires interest payments indefinitely.

Do they put it in writing that interest rate will stay at prime until 1 year after residency? I was reading in the other LOC thread that they don't for some reason. Can someone clarify?

Also, what is the interest rate 1 year after you finish residency? Does it stay at prime or does it go up? What does it say in their contract?

Thanks.

Thanks everyone. And Deedoc I will read the contract closely for sure.

When it comes down to dealing the bank, my modus operandi is that banks always win in the end, no matter how good the deal seems to be.

What beneficial for the bank and beneficial to the client aren't mutually exclusive. Banks offer unsecured LOCs to future doctors, because it brings in a slight income over inflation with next to minimal requirement to hedge due to minimal risk.

What beneficial for the bank and beneficial to the client aren't mutually exclusive. Banks offer unsecured LOCs to future doctors, because it brings in a slight income over inflation with next to minimal requirement to hedge due to minimal risk.

In this case they at best break even with the LOC (there are more costs that inflation here - the person doing all the professional loans has an salary, office, etc, etc). They do it for the future income they will get from the doctors - huge investment accounts etc.

Comparison

TD: *Max 200K. Limiter set at 60K/year max

*Max 200K is what they allow. If you have OSAP/scholarship/other loans they deduct it from the max 200K

you can borrow

*Payment of principal beings one year after medical school at prime for interesting and 1% for principal

Hey OP, can you clarify the statement in bold. Are you saying the rate is prime + 1%?

This all being said by the time you hit a fellowship you probably would already wanting to pay back that loan a bit anyway, no?

Considering some fellowships, especially in the US, pay less than residents make in Canada, that might not be possible.

Fellowships funded by the ministry of health (such as those that are part of a RCPSC program) follow the PGY pay scale.. Fellowships funded through other means will vary in compensation, but usually are in the same range.

There are probably opportunities for moonlighting though - after you write your exams. At that point you are after all a fully licensed doctor.

There are probably opportunities for moonlighting though - after you write your exams. At that point you are after all a fully licensed doctor.

Oh and according to Ian Wong you do generally follow the PGY pay scale - although you are outside of that system so things like call schedule pay etc wouldn't apply.

Archived