Premed 101 Forums

What could I do this summer

I'm currently 17 years old and will be off to my first year of college next fall.

I thought I could do something this summer related to my future since I didn't find a part-time job. I'm currently hesitating between dentist and general practitioner.

Since I'm not an adult yet, I'm worried I might have a lot of restrictions regarding some shadowing. I know people usually do this in college, not high school.

I was just wondering what my possibilities are or what other options I could take to help me figure out what I like in the medical field. Any insight at all is appreciated.

Thank you!

As you said it, you are 17, young and it is a bit too early imo to really do physician/dentist extra-curricular activities unless you know well a physician or a dentist and he's willing to let you shadow him (it's possible). Volunteer in a hospital, take CPR classes, maybe volunteer in St-John Hospital...

If the above doesn't seem interesting for you, learn a foreign language, learn a new musical instrument, go to the gym, take driving lessons, play a sport... Enjoy your teenage years ;)

I'm currently 17 years old and will be off to my first year of college next fall.

I thought I could do something this summer related to my future since I didn't find a part-time job. I'm currently hesitating between dentist and general practitioner.

Since I'm not an adult yet, I'm worried I might have a lot of restrictions regarding some shadowing. I know people usually do this in college, not high school.

I was just wondering what my possibilities are or what other options I could take to help me figure out what I like in the medical field. Any insight at all is appreciated.

Thank you!

McGill has a dentist shadowing program at their dental clinic and it's open to everybody. But I don't know if you can for your age. I didn't do it (my consellor told me to forget about dentistry because of my poor vision and manual dexterity) so I can't comment on the experience.

Archived