Premed 101 Forums

The Holistic Nature of McGill and the Second Undergrad

Zhivago

I don't think that Zaphyrah said that McGill only takes the GPA into account. Also since the beginning of the thread, people agree that in French schools, at first, you are an academic statistic.

Exactly, sorry if I wasn't clear, english isn't my first language. What I meant is that they use the GPA for academic criterias. That's why I used the word "only".

Ah! So they only score on the highlights...

I think so! They have your CV only to check out if you tell the truth in your Personal Narrative I think... same thing as the rec letters. But, it might be different for undergrads! :)

I think so! They have your CV only to check out if you tell the truth in your Personal Narrative I think... same thing as the rec letters. But, it might be different for undergrads! :)

Thank you Cherie. I love your attitude! I love these forums. So helpful!

The best thing is to ask them, eventhough I don't see why it would be different, but the devil is in the details.

The best thing is to ask them, eventhough I don't see why it would be different, but the devil is in the details.

I figured, as an undergrad, you would have had more time to do health-related ECs and research... but then again, at McGill, some of the entering med students aren't in the science field.

The best best is indeed calling the Admissions Office :)

McGill's loss, Cherie:p

For personal narrative, try to be unique and personal...Unique personal experiences and life obstacles seem important for McGill Med Admission. Sob stories probably won't get you too far but they might show your real passion and interest for medicine. For sure they want someone who has experienced some difficulty in his or her life and who overcomes this obstacle rather than trying to show off of sth not too med-related...This comment is from my friend who got into McGill Med:)

Once again, the evaluation of narrative and C.V highlights might be subjective...I guess that getting an interview offer and getting an acceptance from McGill is really a lottery ticket.

In Med-P, they didn't see your essay before the interviews... only your summary. And, basically, the letters of rec and the CV served only a verification purpose :)

To get an interview, they looked at :

Cote R

CV highlights

Narrative summary

Whereas the other universities looked at your cote R. But, in the end, the MEMFI looked more at your implication in society than McGill's MMI did. I don't know if it's the same with undergrad?

Personally, I think the narrative is what sunk me down, if I look at my QAS grade. I don't have a reason for medicine, I never had an extraordinary experience that made me realize I wanted to be a doctor and that's what they look for I guess. Since I was able to play with toys, I've always been fascinated by doctors and biology... it's just something I've wanted to do more and more as the years passed. No sob stories here :P

I am not at liberty to say why, but do not neglect the CV for mcgill xD

My philosophy is do not neglect any aspect of med admissions. Smile at your interviews, be the more pleasant person ever when you talk to people at the Admissions office... Just being nice and warm with people will get you far in life! At least, you did all you could do :)

Is the advice undergrad-specific or for every category though? :P

Free will and autonomy. ;)

It is common sense, though, to pay attention to every aspect of the application. :P

Well, I know someone who skimped on the CV highlights and the Narrative summary because she decided to begin her application way too late. We're talking 2 weeks before... guess what? Didn't get an interview :P

I signed a contract so I cannot say xD But yes, every single step of the process is there for a reason and is not to be botched!

And it was for both undergrads and cegepiens I believe :)

I see. Any idea how they look at those with a botched 1st undergrad and an awesome 2nd undergrad? Do they really JUST look at the 2nd undergrad?

Were her stats awesome?

Her stats were not THAT awesome... her ECs were very good though compared to her R score (in the high 34.xxx). She was on the waitlist for the interview, so just a little more effort on the preliminary documents could have opened up a spot for her :) We're talking way better than my ECs (although we always have a tendency to bring ourselves down when comparing to others, so I can't vouch for my competivity ;))

And, a long while back, there was a thread on a 37- R score cégépienne with very good ECs who didn't even get an interview. Goes to show how much the CV highlights and summary are regarded :)

Knowing how to market yourself - something for which we don't receive any formal or informal instruction - is very muich part of the game. The power of expression, of the written word makes all the difference in the world.

Future_doc, you always say such beautiful things!

Archived