Premed 101 Forums

Course Evaluation for PT/OT Admissions

Hey everyone,

I'm setting up my fourth year timetable at the moment and was wondering do PT/OT programs care if you are taking some first year courses in your final year? I have some space to take 2 extra courses and I know of 2 first year courses that are super easy bird courses but I don't want to take them if first year courses in your final year is frowned upon by admissions boards. What do you guys think

I'm not sure about the PT program but for OT is doesn't say anywhere that first year courses are weighted differently or frowned upon..I took a 1st year course my last semester and still got in. If your GPA isn't as competitive then when reviewing your GPA vs. someone else's they may look at your course selection when considering who to offer admission to. If you had tougher courses and got the same GPA as someone who took easier courses they may take this into consideration

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

I'm setting up my fourth year timetable at the moment and was wondering do PT/OT programs care if you are taking some first year courses in your final year? I have some space to take 2 extra courses and I know of 2 first year courses that are super easy bird courses but I don't want to take them if first year courses in your final year is frowned upon by admissions boards. What do you guys think

All they look at as your most recent 20 courses. It doesn't matter what year they are. ORPAS provides the school with your GPA and subGPA, so they basically get a number. I don't think they would have enough time to go through all of your courses and evaluate the difficulty of each. Also, the grades for your prereq's aren't evaluated, as long as you pass the course with the minimum grade (usually 70%/B-). Just make sure your university program doesn't have rules about taking 1st year courses in 4th year. I took a first year english course in 4th year and didn't realize I was over my limit of 1st year courses and actually didn't graduate on time because of it.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the university and the specific program that you are applying to. I have heard that at McGill, for example, PT/OT admissions are more concerned with your CGPA rather than the courses you have taken. Medicine, on the other hand, looks at all the courses and discourages lower level courses in your final years.

I would suggest e-mailing the PT/OT offices of the universities that you are applying to. It's going to be worth it in the long run. As Lancer said, you should also check it with your own advisor.

Archived