Premed 101 Forums

Emerg doc nomenclature

I have heard the term Family Physician practicing Emergency Medicine. Who all does this refer to?

Obviously an MD trained in the 5 year Royal College EM residency program is an emergency physician.

Obviously an MD with a 2 year Family medicine residency ONLY working in EM would be called an FP practicing emergency medicine.

But what about an MD with 2+1 training .... 2 year FM, 1 year EM? Are they considered to be a FM practicing EM or an emergency physician?

Sure it is just a matter of nomenclature but still am curious about this as I have heard this term a couple of times now and wanted clarification.

I suspect a 2+1 trained MD working full time ER would be insulted by being called an FM practicing emerg if they consider themselves career emerg doctors ... just my thoughts.

Beef

They're all emergency physicians as long as they work in the ER. Don't overthink it, as someone mentioned above it's CCFP or FRCPC EM. And unless he has some ego issue or some power trip, a 2+1 wouldn't be insulted if you call him a family physician. Would a forensic pathologist be insulted if you omitted to add the adjective forensic?

I have heard the term Family Physician practicing Emergency Medicine. Who all does this refer to?

Obviously an MD trained in the 5 year Royal College EM residency program is an emergency physician.

Obviously an MD with a 2 year Family medicine residency ONLY working in EM would be called an FP practicing emergency medicine.

But what about an MD with 2+1 training .... 2 year FM, 1 year EM? Are they considered to be a FM practicing EM or an emergency physician?

Sure it is just a matter of nomenclature but still am curious about this as I have heard this term a couple of times now and wanted clarification.

I suspect a 2+1 trained MD working full time ER would be insulted by being called an FM practicing emerg if they consider themselves career emerg doctors ... just my thoughts.

Beef

Go to page 8 of this document. This will clarify your questions. For everyday purposes nobody really cares (I don't anyway) what you call yourself. But if a family doc who works in the emerg is going to officially call themselves something then it is Dr. x family medicine, practicing in emergency medicine. It's a relatively new change by the college.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/uploadedFiles/policies/publications/dialoguearchives/dialogueissues/Dialogue_Iss4_2010.pdf

yeah, ten yrs in you cant tell the difference anyways

They're all emergency physicians as long as they work in the ER. Don't overthink it, as someone mentioned above it's CCFP or FRCPC EM. And unless he has some ego issue or some power trip, a 2+1 wouldn't be insulted if you call him a family physician. Would a forensic pathologist be insulted if you omitted to add the adjective forensic?

Archived