Premed 101 Forums

How long does it take you to read and study an entire chapter of a science textbook?

Hey! Don't worry you are definitely not alone! It varies depending on the nature of the material and wether or not I am familiar with it. When what I am reading is totally unfamiliar I go over one time really quickly, without attempting to read for too much detail. The second time is when I like to pull out every color of highlighter imaginable and sit there for hours trying to ACTIVELY read and DIGEST the material for the purposes of really understanding it. After lecture I usually re-read and integrate/annotate notes from the assigned reading for the last time.

I didn't read my biochem text. Well, I'll clarify.

I did poorly when I tried to read my textbook because I spent too much time reading the chapters, and not channeling my focus appropriately.

I did better when I focused on reading the notes, making study guides that covered important topics, and referring to the textbook for further clarification. Oh, and YouTube videos for pathways like the TCA cycle often helped :)

I didn't read my biochem text. Well, I'll clarify.

I did poorly when I tried to read my textbook because I spent too much time reading the chapters, and not channeling my focus appropriately.

I did better when I focused on reading the notes, making study guides that covered important topics, and referring to the textbook for further clarification. Oh, and YouTube videos for pathways like the TCA cycle often helped :)

It's funny when you don't even need textbooks to study. Why spend $$$ when I could just borrow them for free at the library for reference use? :rolleyes:

It's funny when you don't even need textbooks to study. Why spend $$$ when I could just borrow them for free at the library for reference use? :rolleyes:

That's basically what I opted to do do in my later years. After spending too much money on textbooks (sigh). Stop buying the books and sign them out from the library. Though, it was frustrating when I would want to sign them out for >1 day and they only gave you like 2 hours. Lol then, I would have to get someone else to sign it out for me afterwards. Ah well, tiny inconvenience was worth it.

Are you taking biochem right now, ciel?

Buying textbooks was the way to waste your money in undergrad. I bought well over 2000 dollar of books, never read more than 10 pages. Just stick to notes. If you can't clarify, re-read your notes, or ask the professor. The books are either too boring, complicated, or long. They are never to the point.

Oh yeah and that Biochemistry text book, if you bought it, try to sell it back. If you can't find a bookshelf and place it as a decor. Trust me, the material in that are way too complicated, and/or useless for an undergrad student, and you can learn 1500% of it online. The amount of time you will WASTE on reading those books can be put into use to gain better marks.

That's my $0.05.

Are you taking biochem right now, ciel?

Nope. But I took it last semester and it was a pain in the butt. I relied on both the professor's notes and the textbook, but it still took me a really long time to go through and fully understand the materials. I pretty much neglected my other classes just for biochem.

I was planning to take higher level biochem this fall (for my degree), but now, I'm reconsidering.

Nope. But I took it last semester and it was a pain in the butt. I relied on both the professor's notes and the textbook, but it still took me a really long time to go through and fully understand the materials. I pretty much neglected my other classes just for biochem.

I was planning to take higher level biochem this fall (for my degree), but now, I'm reconsidering.

I found biochem to be pretty difficult, but actually some of the upper year courses were surprisingly better. Ex. Enzymology, proteins, nucleic acids, oncology, etc. What course were you thinking of?

In introductory biochem, they shoot a lot of new concepts at you and it can be hard to keep up. But generally the upper year courses are better.

Exception: metabolism. That course is 100% hell :)

How much of each chem are you guys taking as MCAT prep/med school prerequisite?

2 Gen, 2 Orgo, 1 Bio? Is that the way to go?

Yep, I think generally that's fine (except 2 bio, or 1 full year).

My personal opinion would be to take a biochem course as well. Possibly even genetics, and cell and molec.

I found biochem to be pretty difficult, but actually some of the upper year courses were surprisingly better. Ex. Enzymology, proteins, nucleic acids, oncology, etc. What course were you thinking of?

In introductory biochem, they shoot a lot of new concepts at you and it can be hard to keep up. But generally the upper year courses are better.

For the upper year bioc class, I thought about taking Human Metabolism and Diseases. Yes, there is metabolism in there....but it will focus on the relationships between the key metabolic pathways and genetic and acquired human diseases, like diabetes and obesity.

What do you think of it?

Yep, I think generally that's fine (except 2 bio, or 1 full year).

My personal opinion would be to take a biochem course as well. Possibly even genetics, and cell and molec.

So we should all be taking 6 chemistry courses in undergrad?

Dear god...

For the upper year bioc class, I thought about taking Human Metabolism and Diseases. Yes, there is metabolism in there....but it will focus on the relationships between the key metabolic pathways and genetic and acquired human diseases.

What do you think of it?

Hm do you have a course number? That way I can check out the outline and course summary. :)

So we should all be taking 6 chemistry courses in undergrad?

Dear god...

The ochem on the MCAT actually isn't too difficult, and there is not very much of it. So I think it is debatable if 2 ochem courses are nescessary. On second thought, I would be inclined to say you only need ochem I. That's the vast majority of testable MCAT material.

Ochem II is a very difficult course, requires a lot of work and effort that potentially might not be worth all the suffering in the end. Are you applying to any schools that require ochem as a prerequisite?

The ochem on the MCAT actually isn't too difficult, and there is not very much of it. So I think it is debatable if 2 ochem courses are nescessary. On second thought, I would be inclined to say you only need ochem I. That's the vast majority of testable MCAT material.

Ochem II is a very difficult course, requires a lot of work and effort that potentially might not be worth all the suffering in the end. Are you applying to any schools that require ochem as a prerequisite?

Uhmmmm....no. Unless most schools in the states require two OCHEM.

Yeah 1 would probably be better then GPA-wise. By the time MCAT writing time comes around I'll probably have forgotten most of the stuff and be sticking to what is in the MCAT prep books. If you're saying most ORGO II is not on the MCAT then yeah no way I'll take it.

So 2 general chem, 2 bio, 1 orgo you think? Are there two semesters worth of biochem on the MCAT?

It's BIOC 435.

It looks similar to my course, and I found metabolism to be very challenging as did many other students (class av was very low). I would ask other students at your school how they felt about the course. At our school, it was painful and basically you only took it if you were a biochem major, wanted into UBC medicine, or both.

On one hand, it may be easier because you have a tangible link between metabolism and something applicable (I.e. human disease). On the other hand, metabolism alone is difficult to understand so that added component might further complicate the coursework.

Wish I was more help, but I do feel that metabolism is challenging. You could even post in the sask thread to ask if anyone has taken the course and their thoughts :)

Uhmmmm....no. Unless most schools in the states require two OCHEM. Do any schools in Ontario require two OCHEM?

Yeah 1 would probably be better then GPA-wise. By the time MCAT writing time comes around I'll probably have forgotten most of the stuff and be sticking to what is in the MCAT prep books. If you're saying most ORGO II is not on the MCAT then yeah no way I'll take it.

So 2 general chem, 2 bio, 1 orgo you think? Are there two semesters worth of biochem on the MCAT?

have you taken orgo? if not, you might not find it that bad. it was one of my higher marks in second year. anecdotal, but its def not impossible to do well.

Based on my high school chem performance, I'd prefer to take as little chem as possible.

markov does have a point :) You might not even need ochem. I guess a good question would be: How many questions are ochem related in recent exams? I took mine several years ago, so I might be a little outdated by now. And you could potentially do just fine with MCAT prep books, and direct ochem related questions during your study time to the MCAT prep forum.

But what about the biochem?

Also how are you guys (girls) spreading your chem around your undergrad? I feel I probably shouldn't be taking more than 1 chem per semester.

Jerkstore, what degree are you taking? :)

This would give us a better idea of how to help.

Hey! Don't worry you are definitely not alone! It varies depending on the nature of the material and wether or not I am familiar with it. When what I am reading is totally unfamiliar I go over one time really quickly, without attempting to read for too much detail. The second time is when I like to pull out every color of highlighter imaginable and sit there for hours trying to ACTIVELY read and DIGEST the material for the purposes of really understanding it. After lecture I usually re-read and integrate/annotate notes from the assigned reading for the last time.

This is really good advice. Thanks!

Does anyone know how fast (if at all) the various first year chem and bio courses fill up? The various chem programs don't appear as though they are going to fill up, does that usually mean there's still seats available in the 1st year courses? Consequently bio does fill up pretty fast so I imagine elective courses in those fill up quickly.

In terms of chemistry, I find most people seem to take first year chemistry 1 and 2 (general/physical chemistry), then they just take organic chemistry 1, unless their program requires both ochem 1 & 2. It also depends on the university - some require both ochem 1 & 2 as pre-reqs for biochem, some only require ochem 1, and some only require the general first year chem 1 & 2.

I've only taken one organic chemistry course (introductory organic chemistry), and I found it very interesting and did quite well. Of course, I had an amazing prof who really explained things well, and I found ochem was very logical. You simply had to learn the "rules" as to how things worked and then apply them.

Biochemistry, on the other hand, required a lot of memorization, coupled with some understanding. But there is no way around the memorization (at least in my experience). You have to memorize all the amino acids and their structures (and then you can figure out most of their properties from their structures without memorizing all the properties). You have to memorize the various biochemical pathways, all the intermediates and their structures, and the names of all the enzymes that catalyze the reactions in the pathways.

Biochem is definitely an important foundation for other courses, however. For example, in my program, nutrition/dietetics, you need to know all the pathways in order to understand where all the various macro- and micro-nutrients fit into those pathways. Personally, I really enjoyed seeing how everything fit together in terms of the nutrients we ingest - it made biochemistry so much more interesting.

I've generally only taken one chemistry course per semester. I know people who have taken two or more at the same time, but I preferred to have things more spread out. I also generally try to only have two "lab" courses a semester (courses with 3 hour labs that require pre- and post-lab work, and lab reports), but I do know people who manage with more. I guess it depends on how much you like lab work! I enjoy my current summer research in a food science lab, but it is very different from doing chemistry lab experiments.

Archived