Premed 101 Forums

Cell Phone Plans

Straight talk is 45$ Unlimited everything. You can bring your own Rogers/whatever phone if it is unlocked.

Virgin Mobile is 35$ 300 min/Unlimited other things. You need to buy a phone from them.

Use skype if you are on Android/iOS for 2.99 unlimited calling to Canada/US. Maybe phone card too if you don't call that much

These are prepaid since I am assuming you are like me, and will have no credit in the US. You don't need to sign a contract here so if the service is ****ty, you can switch whenever.

I'm sure you can get cheaper if you don't need data, but I do.

• 2 weeks later...

The above are good prepaid providers. However I'm not sure about coverage.

I was able to get a contract despite having no credit in the US.

I used to have Verizon which had amazing coverage, no dropped calls, but it was something like $40 for 500min (including eve & wknd .. so inadequate!) plus $20 for unlimited text, plus even more for data :/

I'm now on T-Mobile .. $60 for unlimited talk + text + 2GB data. I'm having some issues with the 4G network .. it's not great, but you get what you pay for.

For calling back to Canada, I'd try the PennyTalk app for smartphone. It'll charge you exactly 1c/min to call Canada, no connection fees. There are also free long distance calling apps out there for smartphone (ex. Kakao) but my family's stuck in the 20th century and doesn't use their cellphones while at home, so I must use PennyTalk to call their landline in Canada.

I would really appreciate any advice right now. I'm really confused at the moment. These are the options I think I have:

(1) Wait till the end of september for the iPhone 5 and see what it's like

(2) Get the galaxy s3 now before the 6gb data plan offers end

(3) Get unlimited-40 plan with wind mobile, but then again they don't have coverage all over london just yet

What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
I would really appreciate any advice right now. I'm really confused at the moment. These are the options I think I have:

(1) Wait till the end of september for the iPhone 5 and see what it's like

(2) Get the galaxy s3 now before the 6gb data plan offers end

(3) Get unlimited-40 plan with wind mobile, but then again they don't have coverage all over london just yet

What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

Is it confirmed that the iPhone 5 will be coming out in September? Also, what are the phone companies that support the iPhone in Canada? I think I am going to set up my phone with voip, so I am going to compare compare VoIP providers on http://www.voip-info.org. Do they offer any plans for both the US and Canada? Thanks!

Archived