Premed 101 Forums

Research in Gen Surg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. What kind of research experience would they be looking for. I am asking because I am applying to MD/PhD programs and if I get accepted, I wanted to know what kind of project I should be looking to do. As someone who aspires to go into surgery, should I do a project related to surgery under the supervision of a scientist? Is Md/PhD even the best route to go? I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Hi there. What kind of research experience would they be looking for. I am asking because I am applying to MD/PhD programs and if I get accepted, I wanted to know what kind of project I should be looking to do. As someone who aspires to go into surgery, should I do a project related to surgery under the supervision of a scientist? Is Md/PhD even the best route to go? I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Do you want to do a PhD and do a signifigant degree of research in your career, especially bench type stuff? Or are you more interested in the clinical aspect of things and want to do minimal or no research?

I am more interested in the clinical aspect of things. But as per the previous post, research experience helps to match in surgery. What kind research experience is this? Is this doing research while in medical school or summers in between with a surgeon of some kind? I am guessing the kind of research experience that would help get matched in surgery would have to be related to surgery and not laboratory/bench type stuff?

I read in another post that many surgical residencies allow you to a masters or PhD, and various many residents do go through with that. I'm sure the PhD opportunities during residencies wouldn't be the same as for someone doing an MD/PhD. PhDs during residencies would be more clinical and less bench?

I am more interested in the clinical aspect of things. But as per the previous post, research experience helps to match in surgery. What kind research experience is this? Is this doing research while in medical school or summers in between with a surgeon of some kind? I am guessing the kind of research experience that would help get matched in surgery would have to be related to surgery and not laboratory/bench type stuff?

I read in another post that many surgical residencies allow you to a masters or PhD, and various many residents do go through with that. I'm sure the PhD opportunities during residencies wouldn't be the same as for someone doing an MD/PhD. PhDs during residencies would be more clinical and less bench?

PhD's or masters can during residency can be as clinical or as bench as you like. There is lots of surgical related bench research (wound healing stuff for instance).

Don't do an MD/phd solely for CaRMS. It's a huge waste for you and the research community. Most CaRMS people have very minor, non groundbreaking research. Hell, a couple case reports is usually more than enough. And Gen Surg is only mildly competitive on top of that.

Research is a SMALL part of matching. Work ethic, Likeability and Knowledge will make 95-99% of the decisions in the match.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is necessary one thing to highlight that my business is interested in this scientific part of items. Yet depending on the prior write-up, analysis experience helps to match in surgery. The kind analysis experience can be this kind of? Will be this kind of performing analysis during health-related school or summers between using a medical expert involving some sort as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived