Premed 101 Forums

Working in the US

leviathan

Does anyone have experience with moving to the US to practice family medicine? Is it difficult to get a work visa? Is it true you have to write the USMLEs even if you're moving to a state that accepts the LMCC exams? Do you have to write the US board exams for family or do extra training since it's 3 years there?

Does anyone have experience with moving to the US to practice family medicine? Is it difficult to get a work visa? Is it true you have to write the USMLEs even if you're moving to a state that accepts the LMCC exams? Do you have to write the US board exams for family or do extra training since it's 3 years there?

If you want to work in FM in a hospital, you'd need a h1B work visa. J1 won't be an option for this. If you want to set up your own practice, then I'm not entirely sure how that would work, but I assume you'd need some kind of visa to legally earn money in the US.

I'm 99% sure that you need all 3 steps of the USMLEs and your ECFMG certificate (as a foreign MD) to practice, regardless of LMCC.

Assuming you did FM in Canada in 2 years, you owe the US 1 year in fellowship. And you need to take the US FM board exams as your Canadian FM board exam does not count. (note that the US FM board exams are acceptable to Canada, but the Canadian one is not acceptable to the US). Whereas if you did your FM residency in the US, you wouldn't have any problems practicing in Canada.

Archived