Premed 101 Forums

Piracy

dreamerman

I would like to know everyone's opinions on piracy. I admit I do not pay for most of my music and software:o. I feel no guilt for doing it and my reason is that I just don't have enough money. Take iTunes for an example: 1.29 for every song!!! With a 4000 song library, I would be broke.

I would like to know everyone's opinions on piracy. I admit I do not pay for most of my music and software:o. I feel no guilt for doing it and my reason is that I just don't have enough money. Take iTunes for an example: 1.29 for every song!!! With a 4000 song library, I would be broke.

I'm not commenting on piracy, but that's a terrible justification you gave. I can't afford a Ferrari right now but I sure as hell ain't going to go jack one.

another argument to be made....would you buy those same things if it were cheaper? I know buying a fulla dobe suit is $1000 + so a lot of people pirate for that reason....but what if it were $250 (75% off) would you still pirate? or would you buy? Cause at a certain point its a matter of "I can't afford" and at another point its a "I want this but dont wanna pay money for it"

I don't pirate, but I don't pay either because it's too expensive. I, too, would be beyond broke. I resort to YouTube. It sucks because I haven't updated my iPod in years, but it's just really way too expensive. (I do have some songs on iTunes because I used to buy a CD once in a while and sometimes people would send me music. Also, when I was in rez, I used DC++ which I guess is technically pirating, but I didn't feel as guilty because I knew that I wouldn't have access to it if I hadn't forked over lots of cash for residence and RezNet - and I figured it's like sharing with your family :P.)

I definitely would buy music if it were, say, 25 cents per song. I hope iTunes is listening.

I'm not commenting on piracy, but that's a terrible justification you gave. I can't afford a Ferrari right now but I sure as hell ain't going to go jack one.

Yeah, but would you jack one if the original one was left exactly as it was? The original owner has a Ferrari, and you'd have one too! Win-win.

The problem is the designer of the "content" is not in the loop. Then it becomes a matter of price, how much money should they get? When the price and platform is right, digital distribution works well. Look at Steam's Summer/Holiday sales. I've boughten $100s of stuff on impulse and to avoid the hassle of piracy.

Thats the worst reasoning ever - to me, stealing is stealing. $1.29 isn't that much, you don't NEED to buy every song you like. How is that any different from walking into HMV and taking some CDs?

The only time I've ever illegally downloaded music was when I couldn't actually find the song to purchase anywhere (it was a small New Zealand band) but I still went ahead and bought their CD when I went to NZ a few years later.

I've got no problem with it, I probably have 200+ movies and about 6000 songs, all torrented. I do, however, still pay money to go see the artists live when they come to a city close to me. So I support them in some way :P.

just for lolz.

http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/wpid-WHEN-YOU-PIRATE-MUSIC...-525x3331.jpeg

I've got no problem with it, I probably have 200+ movies and about 6000 songs, all torrented. I do, however, still pay money to go see the artists live when they come to a city close to me. So I support them in some way :P.

just for lolz.

http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/wpid-WHEN-YOU-PIRATE-MUSIC...-525x3331.jpeg

Exactly! They are still supported in other ways, such as live shows.

another argument to be made....would you buy those same things if it were cheaper? I know buying a fulla dobe suit is $1000 + so a lot of people pirate for that reason....but what if it were $250 (75% off) would you still pirate? or would you buy? Cause at a certain point its a matter of "I can't afford" and at another point its a "I want this but dont wanna pay money for it"

That's a good point.

I also don't want to comment on piracy, but I'm no saint when it comes to this.

One interesting argument I've seen for piracy is that people who pirate games are not likely to buy that game regardless, so the company itself isn't actually losing money, because if that game was not available as a pirated version then the person who downloaded the pirated version wouldn't buy it anyways (if you follow what I mean).

Like the games I have heard of people 'illegally' downloading recently are stupid games that they would probably never buy regardless of the price, but just wanted to try for the heck of it (Airport Tycoon, The Movies etc.). However, when a really good game comes out, regardless of the price, I will always buy it (eg. Elder Scrolls, NHL series, Halo etc.) despite these games being EASILY available in pirated versions.

The cost complaint is certainly a partially valid one. With most games costing $50-60 a piece, this is out of the price range for some people. And that's where the genius of a distributor like Steam comes in. And they recognize that in order to lower piracy rates you don't make harsher and harsher laws, rather you make a more competitive product. Steam sales are HUGE and allow a lot of people to buy the games for reasonable prices, and I guarantee you this reduces piracy in the short and long run. iTunes is a similar product for music that I think is having a good effect, though I don't generally download music and instead just stream on YouTube as well haha

i like free music and saving on overpriced textbooks… i go to lots of shows anyways, sure as hell going to hand sony a bunch of cash, lol

textbooks are a huge one for me too. And I'm in the same boat that, if I couldn't pirate it, I would simply do without. I love my 200 films, but without pirating, I would have bought at most 5. And I have bought those 5, because, if I really like something, I'll buy the hardcopy. Other than that, I'm not shelling out that money, even if I had it.

Please don't call it "piracy", because it's not. This is piracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy, and it gets people killed. Equating the copying of a .mp3 file with the murder of people at sea serves no purpose.

Instead, we should call it what it is: "copyright infringement". Not piracy. Not theft.

And yes, it's wrong. But I ain't no saint either ...

I specially wouldn't spend $50-60 on a console game when I can probably get the same game on an android tablet for $5. As for MP3s, I'm pretty sure even if itunes sold an MP3 for 5 cents, most people would still not pay for it. I remember one of those famous rappers once commented about illegally downloading his music by saying as long as people listen to his music, he doesn't give a **** if they pay for it or not.

I specially wouldn't spend $50-60 on a console game when I can probably get the same game on an android tablet for $5. As for MP3s, I'm pretty sure even if itunes sold an MP3 for 5 cents, most people would still not pay for it. I remember one of those famous rappers once commented about illegally downloading his music by saying as long as people listen to his music, he doesn't give a **** if they pay for it or not.

Its true. Pirating isnt new yet you dont see any famous artists hurting. The money comes through other means (have you seen the price tag on concerts lately?!) I think if you are talented enough you will make the big $$

And side note, I laughed so hard this one time...I was flipping through channels and some rapper was being interviewed and they asked him about piracy/people stealing his music and he said its wrong and criminal etc etc....this was about 5 minutes after he told the interviewer about how growing up in the hood he would go into rich neighbourhoods and break into people's cars and how he used to be a dealer. :P LOL

One interesting argument I've seen for piracy is that people who pirate games are not likely to buy that game regardless, so the company itself isn't actually losing money, because if that game was not available as a pirated version then the person who downloaded the pirated version wouldn't buy it anyways (if you follow what I mean).

Like the games I have heard of people 'illegally' downloading recently are stupid games that they would probably never buy regardless of the price, but just wanted to try for the heck of it (Airport Tycoon, The Movies etc.). However, when a really good game comes out, regardless of the price, I will always buy it (eg. Elder Scrolls, NHL series, Halo etc.) despite these games being EASILY available in pirated versions.

The cost complaint is certainly a partially valid one. With most games costing $50-60 a piece, this is out of the price range for some people. And that's where the genius of a distributor like Steam comes in. And they recognize that in order to lower piracy rates you don't make harsher and harsher laws, rather you make a more competitive product. Steam sales are HUGE and allow a lot of people to buy the games for reasonable prices, and I guarantee you this reduces piracy in the short and long run. iTunes is a similar product for music that I think is having a good effect, though I don't generally download music and instead just stream on YouTube as well haha

Airport Tycoon exists? Where do I download this? Must. Construct. Pretty (and efficient). Terminal.

Archived