Premed 101 Forums

carms for the mediocre medical student

No to scare you but...

In 2012 psyche is pretty damn tight in Quebec. I personally know an excellent applicant (undergrad in psychology, great evals, great personality...) matched to nowhere with 3 Fr Quebec programs (unsure if he applied to McGill though)

and as far as i could remember, no left-over psyche spot in quebec after 1st round. Correct me if I'm wrong

there was 1 spot left at laval and 2 at sherbrooke.

Your friend obviously had a terrible interview because I know some pretty mediocre med students who are now psych residents in french programs.

source: http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2012R1_MatchResults/37_Summary%20of%20Vacancies%20by%20Medical%20School%20and%20Discipline_en.pdf

to OP:

as a last year clerk, I agree with most of what you say. In order to succeed in clerkship, all you have to do is be on time, bite your tongue, and smile like a hypocrite...

Im sorry to hear all your evals (or most of them), went to ****. I dont know if what you got represents what the avg clerk gets or not (maybe residents and other clerks can tell us), but I think you can get away with as long as you perform well on the interview

No to scare you but...

In 2012 psyche is pretty damn tight in Quebec. I personally know an excellent applicant (undergrad in psychology, great evals, great personality...) matched to nowhere with 3 Fr Quebec programs (unsure if he applied to McGill though)

and as far as i could remember, no left-over psyche spot in quebec after 1st round. Correct me if I'm wrong

I know who you're talking about.

What you're saying isn't accurate about him/her. I will explain trying to preserve his/her identity without naming the programs.

That person ranked psychiatry as a first choice in one of the french university, but his/her second ranked choice overall was family medicine in the same location. He/she was saying that if he/she wasn't getting psychiatry in his/her most desired program, he/she wasn't going to get psych anywhere... He/she was very confident. Basically breathing psychiatry. He/she matched into family. The interview commitee said he/she idealized psychiatry too much afterwards. The given program accepted IMG (and they don't have special spots for them) so they probably didn't rank him/her at all. Sad story.

I know who you're talking about.

What you're saying isn't accurate about him/her. I will explain trying to preserve his/her identity without naming the programs.

That person ranked psychiatry as a first choice in one of the french university, but his/her second ranked choice overall was family medicine in the same location. He/she was saying that if he/she wasn't getting psychiatry in his/her most desired program, he/she wasn't going to get psych anywhere... He/she was very confident. Basically breathing psychiatry. He/she matched into family. The interview commitee said he/she idealized psychiatry too much afterwards. The given program accepted IMG (and they don't have special spots for them) so they probably didn't rank him/her at all. Sad story.

what exactly do you mean yalta?

what exactly do you mean yalta?

He/she sought feedback after the match. Psych was for the applicant a perfect field without any downsides. Maybe he/she had trouble identifying the negative or difficult aspects of the specialty. His vision of the field wasn't realistic enough I guess. I don't know in details.

I don't think elective choices play that critical a role, as long as you have 1) sufficient radiology exposure/demonstrated interest to be making an informed choice, and 2) enough geographic variation so that it doesn't look like you are tied to a particular locale and it would be a waste of time for other programs to interview you.

So, no, FP or any other elective is not going to look bad (unless you have a ton of electives in another area and it appears that radiology might be a second choice). Your sample elective schedule of 24 weeks also seems like significantly more time than most people get for electives, unless you are including preclinical summers or selective rotations in there.

24 weeks of electives in 4th year at UBC.

4 must be at UBC (4 consecutive weeks in one discipline)

4 weeks minimum in each of the following: anything surgical, anything medical, anything primary care.

Rest is up to us.

• 2 weeks later...
Fist-time poster.

Do you think it is possible to match in psych somewhere in Canada for the mediocre medical student who attended a canadian school ?

Is it really a CO2 specialty lol ?

My CV:

Average evals on most rotations. Worst comments : slow when rounding on his patients, bad time management, inconsistent, lacks medical knowledge (internal medicine), bad differential diagnosis on family med rotation. Doesn't seem interested (pediatrics).

Great psych evals

Failed clerkship exam in internal medicine.

Elective in psych.

No pre-clinical failures.

No research.

No significant ECs.

I really banged a lot of girls during med school though. And hot ones. Can't really put that on my CV. It got excessive during third year, probably explaining some of my struggle.

I'm feeling very depressed starting all this process.

Partyboy....you're a hero in my eyes

Fist-time poster.

I really banged a lot of girls during med school though. And hot ones. Can't really put that on my CV. It got excessive during third year, probably explaining some of my struggle.

While most were reading Robbins Pathology...Partyboy was doing what most only dreamed of.

• 4 months later...

Archived