Premed 101 Forums

carms for the mediocre medical student

Fist-time poster.

Do you think it is possible to match in psych somewhere in Canada for the mediocre medical student who attended an ontarian canadian school ?

Is it really a CO2 specialty lol ?

My CV:

Average evals on most rotations. Worst comments : slow when rounding on his patients, bad time management, inconsistent, lacks medical knowledge. Doesn't seem interested.

Great psych evals

Failed clerkship exam in family medicine.

Elective in psych.

No pre-clinical failures.

No research.

No significant ECs.

I really banged a lot of girls during med school though. And hot ones. Can't really put that on my CV. It got excessive during third year, probably explaining some of my struggle.

I'm feeling very depressed starting all this process.

Why wouldn't it be real Med0123 ? Is everyone supposed to be a stuck up student with ECs/research/stellar evals ?

This is real. We're anonymous on this forum so why not post the truth for some honest opinions hopefully ? Carms seems very stressful.

Thank you brooksbane for your response.

can you residents please comment on whether partyboy's application is mediocre?

Doesn't look great, but if applying to psych he has good psych eval. Given psych's lack of competition, slow pace (for the slow rounder) and little degree of medical management (who cares if they know 8 items on differential for low platelets), poster should be ok to match somewhere for psych.

Besides, in psych, you could be terrible at Medical management, but an amazing psychiatrist.

That performance however would be a death sentence in a competitive specialty.

Doesn't look great, but if applying to psych he has good psych eval. Given psych's lack of competition, slow pace (for the slow rounder) and little degree of medical management (who cares if they know 8 items on differential for low platelets), poster should be ok to match somewhere for psych.

Besides, in psych, you could be terrible at Medical management, but an amazing psychiatrist.

That performance however would be a death sentence in a competitive specialty.

The actual failed exam and bad comments will give him trouble getting psych in major cities, trust. People can survive "mediocre" evals, but straight up poor evals (as he describes) are another thing.

Now, apply to Ottawa or Western or something for FM or psych and you have a chance. Toronto/Hamilton would be tougher.

Thank you for your time and opinions. I will focus on my current rotation, carms application, apply broadly, stay positive and hope for the best.

Assuming I apply only in psychiatry, how broadly would you apply if you were me ? How many programs is too many to handle during a carms application ? I also speak french pretty fluently so maybe I could apply in Quebec... Quebec...

Thank you for your time and opinions. I will focus on my current rotation, carms application, apply broadly, stay positive and hope for the best.

Assuming I apply only in psychiatry, how broadly would you apply if you were me ? How many programs is too many to handle during a carms application ? I also speak french pretty fluently so I could apply in Ottawa since they require knowledge of both languages in their program (I just checked on Carms website).

Where did you see that in the Ottawa description? I just looked and I can't find it for the main Ottawa program, just for that one spot in Montfort.

Assuming I apply only in psychiatry, how broadly would you apply if you were me ? How many programs is too many to handle during a carms application ? I also speak french pretty fluently so maybe I could apply in Quebec... Quebec...

Apply to all the programs you would be interested in attending.

Why wouldn't it be real Med0123 ? Is everyone supposed to be a stuck up student with ECs/research/stellar evals ?

This is real. We're anonymous on this forum so why not post the truth for some honest opinions hopefully ? Carms seems very stressful.

Thank you brooksbane for your response.

Agreed +1. Lets keep this forum a place where we can be honest.

I must admit I am getting very nervous about this Carms deal. I am going for radiology so despite having a decent student record and some EC's I hear the competition will be stiff. Feeling very "mediocre" these days.

One of the biggest stressors is my elective choices. Do programs look hard at the choices and scrutinize based on that? Example: I have a month of family practice during the preCarms period. Do I have to worry how that looks? Does that "look" bad to a rad program? FP is pretty far from the reading room. Also, I don't do a month of rad anywhere. I have 6 weeks of rads preCarms in 3 different places, but they are all 2 weekers. I had a 4th place in Calgary but I had to move it because almost everything at my home school got cancelled and I had to rearrange.

My biggest question right now is do programs look at the elective choices of a student's final year and care. I think a rads gunner choices might look like this: 8-12 weeks radiology in at least 3 provinces. 4 weeks CTU. 4 weeks ICU. 4 weeks something surgical with heavy imaging like neuro, ortho, gen. 2-4 weeks in other specialties with lots of relevant imaging like respirology, GI, PM&R, oncology.

Mine doesn't look anything like that. I can explain why

Anybody have a take? Thanks

One of the biggest stressors is my elective choices. Do programs look hard at the choices and scrutinize based on that? Example: I have a month of family practice during the preCarms period. Do I have to worry how that looks? Does that "look" bad to a rad program?

I don't think elective choices play that critical a role, as long as you have 1) sufficient radiology exposure/demonstrated interest to be making an informed choice, and 2) enough geographic variation so that it doesn't look like you are tied to a particular locale and it would be a waste of time for other programs to interview you.

So, no, FP or any other elective is not going to look bad (unless you have a ton of electives in another area and it appears that radiology might be a second choice). Your sample elective schedule of 24 weeks also seems like significantly more time than most people get for electives, unless you are including preclinical summers or selective rotations in there.

Clerkship. It's bull****. But I like medicine. I like patients. I don't like doctors.

Medical doctors, especially in academic centers, are pretty weird. Peculiar personnalities. Not always easy dealing with them.

I'm also incompatible with female internal med and surgical residents. I'm no misogynist. Many yell at me and act in a weird fashion for reasons that are beyond my comprehension even after a thorough introspection. Now when I know I'm on call with a female resident, I begin sweating, I tremble and my balls shrink.

My mid-rotation eval in internal med was superior. Superior. On the second month here come that senior resident with a ****ed up personnality. I was harassed by her. And I wasn't the only clerk. Clerkship. The attending didn't give a ****. Other clerks were crying during the rotation.

Clerkship pisses me off.

When I get done with psychiatry residency in Newfoundland, Sherbrooke or in another gross location, if only I get the privilege to, I'll be an attending and I will do whatever I wanna do.

If you think your balls shrink when you have to work with a female resident with personality issues, wait till you have to work with some of our nursing "colleagues" or when some hard ass admin hoe (BA in creative arts and MBA don't-cha-know) comes and rains on your parade.

Cryptorchid mofo.

If you think your balls shrink when you have to work with a female resident with personality issues, wait till you have to work with some of our nursing "colleagues" or when some hard ass admin hoe (BA in creative arts and MBA don't-cha-know) comes and rains on your parade.

Cryptorchid mofo.

lol

You misunderstood the point.

It is clerkship. The clerk is never right. He's at the bottom of the medical hierarchy. He is under constant evaluation. You have to be submissive in certains ways or your evaluation will suffer. Then your carms is screwed. That's what happened when I stood up against one of those residents. I gained nothing. I screwed up my evals. Now I let my balls shrink when knowing that my evals could suffer from big balls attitude. I don't respond. You never win as a clerk.

You're probably a resident or attending. If you're an attending tell your colleagues to get properly ****ed at night so they can calm down. Do it yourself if they look good.

I also speak french pretty fluently so maybe I could apply in Quebec... Quebec...

No to scare you but...

In 2012 psyche is pretty damn tight in Quebec. I personally know an excellent applicant (undergrad in psychology, great evals, great personality...) matched to nowhere with 3 Fr Quebec programs (unsure if he applied to McGill though)

and as far as i could remember, no left-over psyche spot in quebec after 1st round. Correct me if I'm wrong

Clerkship. It's bull****. But I like medicine. I like patients. I don't like doctors.

Medical doctors, especially in academic centers, are pretty weird. Peculiar personnalities. Not always easy dealing with them.

I'm also incompatible with female internal med and surgical residents. I'm no misogynist. Many yell at me and act in a weird fashion for reasons that are beyond my comprehension even after a thorough introspection. Now when I know I'm on call with a female resident, I begin sweating, I tremble and my balls shrink.

My mid-rotation eval in internal med was superior. Superior. On the second month here come that senior resident with a ****ed up personnality. I was harassed by her. And I wasn't the only clerk. Clerkship. The attending didn't give a ****. Other clerks were crying during the rotation.

Clerkship pisses me off.

When I get done with psychiatry residency in Newfoundland, Sherbrooke or in another gross location, if only I get the privilege to, I'll be an attending and I will do whatever I wanna do.

Perhaps the problem isn't with everyone else....

Archived