Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Dilemma - Give up on Verbal?

medhopeful64

I posted this in the MCAT FAQ but didn't get any replies, so I'm reposting here.

Here's the deal: I have written my MCAT 3 times now. Yes three times. It's pretty pathetic I know, but the first attempt was a total crapshoot, and I should have voided it (wrote it after 2nd year). I was totally unprepared and naive and silly and wrote it anyways. Got a 6 in Verbal, and not too great on the science sections. Next summer, I did much better on the science/writing sections, and my verbal improved but only to an 8. I just rewrote on the 14th of July this year, and I got a 9/6/13/R... (My PS score was low because I ran out of time and happened to get many chemistry topics I was weakest in, bad luck for me).

I obviously can't do anything with a 6 in Verbal...but the real question is, whether there is any point in me doing a 4th try, when perhaps Verbal is simply not something I can overcome. I feel incredibly frustrated, as I have busted my brains out for the past few years and have gotten nothing out of it. My family has sacrificed much for me so I could focus on the MCAT and I feel like I have let them down. And let myself down. I was so pumped for it, I actually felt good about verbal this year. On test day, I felt like the questions weren't THAT bad, but then again, I always feel like that on Verbal. I feel like I did okay, and then see my mark and another little part of me just dies.

Seriously guys, I am just contemplating on giving up, and just stop wasting my time/effort/money. Not sure what I can even accomplish in terms of Verbal in 3 weeks for another rewrite. Not to mention having to review the science sections again. I feel so lost...

Hi, if you really got 13 in biological science and an R in the writing sample then it means two things:

1) you have enough intelligence to score well overall; and

2) your English is strong enough to score acceptably well on verbal reasoning.

If I were you, I would focus all my effort exclusively on VR and try to bring it up to say an 8. Then apply to as many American schools as possible. If you check the MSAR statistics (just Google "MSAR") you will see that most American med schools can forgive a mediocre VR score, but they're anal as hell with the BS score.

VR is the only section I consistently do well on. How do you raise your VR score? S-L-O-W D-O-W-N. It's not a race. Read the passage nice and slow and make sure you understand it. As you read, highlight all of the following as they arise: weird words, dates, person names, place names. Then, you can answer all the questions based on your common sense, without re-reading the passage.

Hi, if you really got 13 in biological science and an R in the writing sample then it means two things:

If I were you, I would focus all my effort exclusively on VR and try to bring it up to say an 8. Then apply to as many American schools as possible. If you check the MSAR statistics (just Google "MSAR") you will see that most American med schools can forgive a mediocre VR score, but they're anal as hell with the BS score.

VR is the only section I consistently do well on. How do you raise your VR score? S-L-O-W D-O-W-N. It's not a race. Read the passage nice and slow and make sure you understand it. As you read, highlight all of the following as they arise: weird words, dates, person names, place names. Then, you can answer all the questions based on your common sense, without re-reading the passage.

How do you deal with time though? I did try reading slow and fast, and they're getting me the same results! xD

How do you deal with time though? I did try reading slow and fast, and they're getting me the same results! xD

My advice to the original poster about slowing down was based on the remark that he/she always thinks it went well. This implies that he/she always finishes (or comes close to finishing). If you finish, think it went well, but are only scoring a 6, it must mean you're reading too fast for your ability and glossing over the fine nuances of the passages.

On the other hand, if you're already scoring at least average (say an 8), and you find you run out of time, then slowing down may not be a good thing.

My advice to the original poster about slowing down was based on the remark that he/she always thinks it went well. This implies that he/she always finishes (or comes close to finishing). If you finish, think it went well, but are only scoring a 6, it must mean you're reading too fast for your ability and glossing over the fine nuances of the passages.

On the other hand, if you're already scoring at least average (say an 8), and you find you run out of time, then slowing down may not be a good thing.

I did get an 8 in VR last year, but the thing with American schools is that they wouldn't like my multiple MCAT attempts. I actually haven't considered American schools too seriously since I didn't want to leave Canada but my options are becoming limited.

Also, like Raiya mentioned, I am actually pressed for time, and slowing down helps a little, but not too much. I was averaging about 7-9 on the EK exams, and about the same on the AAMC ones. I normally finish in about 60-65 minutes, so its a bit tight. I guess the reason why I said I think they went well is that during the exam I try to be confident, but then I check my answers and its not going as well as I thought. I find that my main problem is understanding the main idea. I also have trouble with identifying the author's tone/attitude toward the topic, if its not obvious.

And lastly, I know that everyone says its not in the details..but IMO the EK exams seem pretty detail-oriented to me. Often in their solutions, they will point to a specific sentence and use this as the sole justification. Sometimes I know the overall riding theme but the little nuances evade me. I find myself returning to the passage frequently, I admit, but it seems to get me to the right answer (usually). I'm going to try to stop however and see how this goes for a few passages.

OP how did you prepare for verbal? I agree with what BubbaBlue said... the 13 in BS is meaningful... post how you prepared here and perhaps the community can give their advice/feedback.

I used the EK strategy - take some time after reading the psg to formulate the main idea (sometimes however I don't do this correctly/distort the main idea slightly). I highlight important names/dates. I tried slowing down, and it helped my comprehension a little, but not TOO much. Mapping the passage paragraph by paragraph also helps but it takes too much time!

Yeah, so those are some of the problems I tend to encounter for Verbal. Thanks everyone for your replies/encouragement (personally I think I totally lucked on on the BS portion with some very easy orgo passages!)

Oh also - since I've already gone through all the AAMC exams, I'm not sure if I should re-attempt those and analyze them again. My scores will be inflated due to familiarity but maybe the process of reviewing AAMC material will help? I dunno.

For a quick-fix (maybe a point or so) try covering the answers before you make your choice... that should limit extrapolation if That is what happens to you.

What I would suggest is to sit down and start analyzing what it is that you're doing wrong. Group the questions into categories, and see where it is that your reasoning failed. Is it Inference questions? New information? Except/not/least? (you can come up with your own categories, or get Kaplan/Princeton's books for their categories)

After that, you can get a few practice tests from Examkrackers, and you can buy verbal passages from Princeton (check out the listings on kijiji/craiglist, etc., there are always people selling the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook if you look for it); Other companies you could try are IvyHall Review, Berkeley, Kaplan, or GoldStandard

For a quick-fix (maybe a point or so) try covering the answers before you make your choice... that should limit extrapolation if That is what happens to you.

What I would suggest is to sit down and start analyzing what it is that you're doing wrong. Group the questions into categories, and see where it is that your reasoning failed. Is it Inference questions? New information? Except/not/least? (you can come up with your own categories, or get Kaplan/Princeton's books for their categories)

After that, you can get a few practice tests from Examkrackers, and you can buy verbal passages from Princeton (check out the listings on kijiji/craiglist, etc., there are always people selling the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook if you look for it); Other companies you could try are IvyHall Review, Berkeley, Kaplan, or GoldStandard

Wouldn't that take too long to do for every single question and chew up even more time?

medhopeful64, I don't think you should just give up. Reading comprehension is something that can be learnt, It might just take a really long time for some of us (me included)

Hi there!

I'd like to offer some words of encouragement! I'm writing my MCAT for the second time in less than a week and I know how frustrating it is to have to study again for it. So keep at it, you scored really well in ps and bs in the past so you are capable of doing well in verbal as well! If you're dream is to stay in Canada, you pursue it and write the test as many times as necessary. The states is a great option too and your bs score is pretty high!

In terms of verbal: I like the idea that was posted about dissecting the questions and figuring out what went wrong. I worked my way up from a 6 and I did it by looking at why I picked certain questions. My problems were that 1) I didn't get the main idea of some passages 2) I really liked absolutes! So find out which answers you tend to gravitate towards. Some people like the round-abouts, overs like simpletons. Also I would recommend that as you're reading, try and figure out the main idea. Each paragraph will likely build on the main idea. While reading the passage, I look for 1) are two theories or thoughts being compared and contrasted. I make note of their similarities and differences 2) Is the author in favour of a particular view point, against it or neutral about it? 3) If there is an example in the passage, it is used to serve one of two functions, it either is there to support the main idea or the author uses it to illustrate how silly the person/idea is. By kinda poking fun at the person/idea, the main idea tends to be the opposite of this example. 4) Is something is italicized, think of what the word means in this context BEFORE you get to the questions. Chances are there will be a question on it and you'll be prepared to answer it! 5) When an author is making a point, I always think to myself, was this point supported by a reference to an authority, a book, paper, or document. If not, then chances are the author's argument is pretty week.

I know that it seems like a lot of things to do in 3-4 minutes but the more you do them, the easier it becomes! You even start predicting what the answer should be.

When answering question: read the question carefully and rephrase it. That way, you simplify the question and it is easier for you to understand, which makes it easier to answer. Pay close attention to words like EXCEPT, UNDERMINE, SUPPORT etc. When you read the answers, cross off ones you think are wrong right away. If you're the kind of person that keeps going back and forth between answers, it will help if you cross them off. Also, cross off answers that are extremes, that use words like only, always, never etc (in most cases, these answers are wrong). By doing this, you've already eliminates 2-3 answers, which leaves you with either the right answer or a 50/50 chance. If you're down to 2 answers, always go with the main idea. Lastly, never pick an answer the was not discussed in the passage.

These are all the mistakes that I made and that I figured out through dissecting my questions for about 2 hours per test. I apologize for the lengthy reply but I hope it helps!

Best of luck!

I've been trying to use this reccently and it has helped quite a bit :) Extrapolation is another one of my issues that I am working on, and I guess I just have to stop myself and think if I am taking it one step too far!

I've also analyzed what types of questions I get wrong. They tend to be those "Strong/weak" support qs, author's tone qs (sometimes I judge the author's tone to be neutral but I am apparently wrong when I check my answers). It's understanding the main idea that gets me off mainly.

Wouldn't that take too long to do for every single question and chew up even more time?

medhopeful64, I don't think you should just give up. Reading comprehension is something that can be learnt, It might just take a really long time for some of us (me included)

Thanks bored, I appreciate the encouragement :)

Hi there!

I'd like to offer some words of encouragement! I'm writing my MCAT for the second time in less than a week and I know how frustrating it is to have to study again for it. So keep at it, you scored really well in ps and bs in the past so you are capable of doing well in verbal as well! If you're dream is to stay in Canada, you pursue it and write the test as many times as necessary. The states is a great option too and your bs score is pretty high!

In terms of verbal: I like the idea that was posted about dissecting the questions and figuring out what went wrong. I worked my way up from a 6 and I did it by looking at why I picked certain questions. My problems were that 1) I didn't get the main idea of some passages 2) I really liked absolutes! So find out which answers you tend to gravitate towards. Some people like the round-abouts, overs like simpletons. Also I would recommend that as you're reading, try and figure out the main idea. Each paragraph will likely build on the main idea. While reading the passage, I look for 1) are two theories or thoughts being compared and contrasted. I make note of their similarities and differences 2) Is the author in favour of a particular view point, against it or neutral about it? 3) If there is an example in the passage, it is used to serve one of two functions, it either is there to support the main idea or the author uses it to illustrate how silly the person/idea is. By kinda poking fun at the person/idea, the main idea tends to be the opposite of this example. 4) Is something is italicized, think of what the word means in this context BEFORE you get to the questions. Chances are there will be a question on it and you'll be prepared to answer it! 5) When an author is making a point, I always think to myself, was this point supported by a reference to an authority, a book, paper, or document. If not, then chances are the author's argument is pretty week.

I know that it seems like a lot of things to do in 3-4 minutes but the more you do them, the easier it becomes! You even start predicting what the answer should be.

When answering question: read the question carefully and rephrase it. That way, you simplify the question and it is easier for you to understand, which makes it easier to answer. Pay close attention to words like EXCEPT, UNDERMINE, SUPPORT etc. When you read the answers, cross off ones you think are wrong right away. If you're the kind of person that keeps going back and forth between answers, it will help if you cross them off. Also, cross off answers that are extremes, that use words like only, always, never etc (in most cases, these answers are wrong). By doing this, you've already eliminates 2-3 answers, which leaves you with either the right answer or a 50/50 chance. If you're down to 2 answers, always go with the main idea. Lastly, never pick an answer the was not discussed in the passage.

These are all the mistakes that I made and that I figured out through dissecting my questions for about 2 hours per test. I apologize for the lengthy reply but I hope it helps!

Best of luck!

Hey! Thanks a lot for the lengthy reply, I found lots of it helpful! Numbers 3 and 5 are great points, I haven't given that as much thought... I hate those questions on "What does word ___ mean in the context of the passage" I often get these wrong. There are usually 2 answer choices that are very similar and I end up guessing. And I know if I don't understand a word, it'll likely be a question ugh haha.

You said you went up from a 6, mind me asking what your verbal scores are now?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm glad I could be of some help! I went up from a 6 to about a 9-10 (depending on the test). What I'm doing now to make sure it stays at a 10 and maybe get it up to an 11 is that I look at what I'm struggling with. I'm a science student so some of the humanities passages just go over my head. If I don't get the main idea, then I get like 3-4 questions wrong per passage, and if there are 2 humanities passages, then I end up with a 9. The reason my score isn't lower is because I've used these techniques and I tend to get perfect or only one wrong on the rest of the passages. So now I'm doing more humanities passages so I can get used to them a little more. I would recommend this for you too. Each person has a type of passage that they don't do well on, some don't like the economic/business ones, geography/rock formations etc, or law based passages. Once you apply all of the suggestions, you'll see that you'll go from a 6 to an 8 and then figure out the passages you're weak in!

Hey! Thanks a lot for the lengthy reply, I found lots of it helpful! Numbers 3 and 5 are great points, I haven't given that as much thought... I hate those questions on "What does word ___ mean in the context of the passage" I often get these wrong. There are usually 2 answer choices that are very similar and I end up guessing. And I know if I don't understand a word, it'll likely be a question ugh haha.

You said you went up from a 6, mind me asking what your verbal scores are now?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm glad I could be of some help! I went up from a 6 to about a 9-10 (depending on the test). What I'm doing now to make sure it stays at a 10 and maybe get it up to an 11 is that I look at what I'm struggling with. I'm a science student so some of the humanities passages just go over my head. If I don't get the main idea, then I get like 3-4 questions wrong per passage, and if there are 2 humanities passages, then I end up with a 9. The reason my score isn't lower is because I've used these techniques and I tend to get perfect or only one wrong on the rest of the passages. So now I'm doing more humanities passages so I can get used to them a little more. I would recommend this for you too. Each person has a type of passage that they don't do well on, some don't like the economic/business ones, geography/rock formations etc, or law based passages. Once you apply all of the suggestions, you'll see that you'll go from a 6 to an 8 and then figure out the passages you're weak in!

you're at a 10 - that's awesome! I know which passages I struggle on - law/economics/philosophy. These go completely over my head. I literally have no idea what in the world is being argued, and I don't know how people conquer the passages they struggle on, besides trying to become more familiar with this type of content. My verbal instructor actually recommended against this (I asked him if it would be a good idea to try to look up some legal terminology, and he was like it'll only exacerbate your panic). Dunno, I definitely feel like if I am more familiar with the topic, I can at least follow along lol. How are you doing with the passages you struggle with?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey! Okay so when I asked my verbal instructor, she said that I shouldn't look up terminology but that I should just do more of those types of passages. I'm doing better now, I feel that with more exposure I was able to get more comfortable with the humanities passages. So hopefully all this practice will be enough!

you're at a 10 - that's awesome! I know which passages I struggle on - law/economics/philosophy. These go completely over my head. I literally have no idea what in the world is being argued, and I don't know how people conquer the passages they struggle on, besides trying to become more familiar with this type of content. My verbal instructor actually recommended against this (I asked him if it would be a good idea to try to look up some legal terminology, and he was like it'll only exacerbate your panic). Dunno, I definitely feel like if I am more familiar with the topic, I can at least follow along lol. How are you doing with the passages you struggle with?

Hey medhopeful,

Any suggestions on how to improve on bio? From the first couple times to the last anything different? A lot of practice tests? I'm not sure why I'm doing poorly, I've read over EK a couple times now, and have done the questions but I don't seem to be doing well in bio on practice tests :(. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I would try and understand how feedback systems work. Those tend to be regularly tested.

Hey medhopeful,

Any suggestions on how to improve on bio? From the first couple times to the last anything different? A lot of practice tests? I'm not sure why I'm doing poorly, I've read over EK a couple times now, and have done the questions but I don't seem to be doing well in bio on practice tests :(. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hey! Okay so when I asked my verbal instructor, she said that I shouldn't look up terminology but that I should just do more of those types of passages. I'm doing better now, I feel that with more exposure I was able to get more comfortable with the humanities passages. So hopefully all this practice will be enough!

Alright, I'm doing the same...Got a 9 on VR AAMC 3, not sure if that's really bad considering its one of the easiest. But I liked the passages overall, and for once was totally comfortable with timing! It's the last Verbal Test I'm gonna do, my test is this Friday! When are you writing?

Hey medhopeful,

Hey! Are these the AAMC exams you are not doing well in, or is it Kaplan/TPR, etc? Getting 12+ has to do with applying passage info to the questions; simply knowledge/memorization/studying beforehand will get you to a 10. Are there certain passages you are weak on? Make sure you understand Renal/Cardio physio...I find these to be the most tested on BS. Try doing a more-indepth study of the areas you are weakest on and try again. If you truly understand the concepts, your scores should improve :)

Also, is it the orgo that is bringing your bio mark down? For me, I totally lucked out on test day and got 2 very easy orgo passages. I actually never got a 13+ in practice exams, I was ranging 9-11. So test day might be better than what you are averaging! Hope this helped, let me know if you have more questions (though I might not be able to get back to you til Saturday - I'm writing this Friday)

I would try and understand how feedback systems work. Those tend to be regularly tested.

+1, this is very common indeed.

Thanks for the reply!

Can I ask what practice problems and content you used for bio? I'm going to be starting to run out of practice material soon.

Goodluck tomorrow you're so close to meeting cut offs in all sections don't give up! I'm in a similar situation and contemplating giving up and if it is even possible for me to bring my bio up, but seeing your efforts is giving me hope!

Thanks for the reply!

Can I ask what practice problems and content you used for bio? I'm going to be starting to run out of practice material soon.

Goodluck tomorrow you're so close to meeting cut offs in all sections don't give up! I'm in a similar situation and contemplating giving up and if it is even possible for me to bring my bio up, but seeing your efforts is giving me hope!

I used just EK and their 1001 Questions book, however the 1001 Questions book I found was on the easy side. I think Kaplan has some good practice questions though, that you might want to look into.

Thanks for the well wishes, I wrote yesterday and Verbal didn't seem too bad. I have all my toes and fingers crossed for results when they come out in October :o

Best of luck on studying for bio, and feel free to PM me for questions or anything :)

Archived