Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE1 Question

Hey,

I'm planning on doing MCCQE1 this fall. I graduated from an Irish school in the summer and hoping to come back to Canada next summer.

2 Questions About the exam:

1) What is the best way to prepare for the afternoon part, clinical decision making?

2) When entering drugs, do we have to enter drug dosages or just the drugs (e.g for an asthma attack is Ipratropium enough or we do have to say 500 ug Ipratropium?)

Thank you,

Good questions. Frustratingly there is little in terms of resources for this exam.

In general I suggest Toronto notes chapters in the high yield areas, OBGYN, Psych, pediatrics, ethics/community health...

USLME Step 2 CK First Aid for internal medicine and surgery

For the CDM portion, sadly there is nothing that is great. Luckily this part of the exam isn't worth much. The best practice material is the MCC's practice exams... These exams are pretty expensive and you can only write them once online which sucks, but it is the best thing out there for CDM. I couldn't stand giving the MCC more of my money and only did one practice exam and I did okay during the CDM portion on the real test.

Personally I found the MCQ portion of the exam much more challenging than the CDM. If you feel good about the first section chances are you will be fine for CDM.

Don't memorize dosages. It is not needed on the exam and beyond that not very safe in real life. Better to look them up than to memorize, unless you are perscribing the given medication daily. There are a few exceptions where dosages might be needed on the exam. This is always for very very common drugs... ASA, acetaminophen, IVF rates etc... If you need to know the dosage then I assure you that it is for a medication where all med students should already know the safe dosages. You won't need to know the dosage of ipratropium. In the off chance that you need to state the dosage the exam will tell you.

Hope this helps!

Check out http://mcc.ca/pdf/CDM_instructions_e.pdf for additional info.

Archived