Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply to the Carib (SGU)

toastman

Hey guys,

So I've been wondering if I should apply to the Caribbean or not. My sister is an SGU alum, and had great success going this route (although she is now an American citizen, and will probably stay there). The issue is she warns me about following in her foot steps, as she says the good days for the Carib are coming to an end. My parents recommend I apply just to keep my options open, but I think I would try here a few times before going the IMG route (and they support this decision), but I'm still unsure if I should I apply to SGU this year or not. My profile so far is that I'm a fourth year student, with a 3.95 OMSAS, (3.98 two best), 31Q (10, 9V, 12 Q), and SWOMEN. Should I bother with this SGU application or not? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Stay toasty my friends.

Hey guys,

So I've been wondering if I should apply to the Caribbean or not. My sister is an SGU alum, and had great success going this route (although she is now an American citizen, and will probably stay there). The issue is she warns me about following in her foot steps, as she says the good days for the Carib are coming to an end. My parents recommend I apply just to keep my options open, but I think I would try here a few times before going the IMG route (and they support this decision), but I'm still unsure if I should I apply to SGU this year or not. My profile so far is that I'm a fourth year student, with a 3.95 OMSAS, (3.98 two best), 31Q (10, 9V, 12 Q), and SWOMEN. Should I bother with this SGU application or not? What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Stay toasty my friends.

You have a 3.95 omsas GPA, and a 31Q MCAT.. and you are thinking of going the Caribbean route.. Are you kidding me? Apply in Canada another cycle, then try for US MD schools and throw in a few DO schools. I don't see a scenario where you can't get into at least one school in the US or Canada.

You have a 3.95 omsas GPA, and a 31Q MCAT.. and you are thinking of going the Caribbean route.. Are you kidding me? Apply in Canada another cycle, then try for US MD schools and throw in a few DO schools. I don't see a scenario where you can't get into at least one school in the US or Canada.

OP is just trolling. After all its Sunday. Not much to do :D

OP, did your sister have similar stats?

OP is just trolling. After all its Sunday. Not much to do :D

OP, did your sister have similar stats?

haha not trolling. But I'm just concerned because I always hear anecdotes about people with 96% averages, and 4.0s getting rejected. No, her academics and mcat werent as strong as mine. Might as well keep my options open, right?

haha not trolling. But I'm just concerned because I always hear anecdotes about people with 96% averages, and 4.0s getting rejected. No, her academics and mcat werent as strong as mine. Might as well keep my options open, right?

You can get rejected with great number stats if you get red flagged for any reason, or perhaps your ECs or interview suck. Just make sure you're well-rounded in all other regards and you should be ok.

Also this

Apply at least 3 times in Canada/US before you ever consider going to the Caribbean.

you're swomen and you meet the cut offs? how....? hahaha WHY were you even considering that route right now? it's okay though. but yeah i agree: definitely try canada first, at least a few times. you've prob heard of the odds of a swomen applicant who interviews at uwo... why not AT LEAST try uwo first?

I want to call you a moron, but I won't because that wouldn't be very nice.

People do get rejected with 4.0's and high MCAT scores.. most likely because they don't pass the criminal record check. Seriously, you're going to get multiple interviews, and as long as you don't pull your **** out in the middle of the interview, you have a great chance of getting in.

You can get rejected with great number stats if you get red flagged for any reason, or perhaps your ECs or interview suck. Just make sure you're well-rounded in all other regards and you should be ok.

Also this

What does it mean to get red flagged? Is it like if you got arrested or something? :P

What does it mean to get red flagged? Is it like if you got arrested or something? :P

Yeah, being convicted of a crime could be a red flag. Also I've heard of a case in the states where someone got a "toxic" LOR from a professor who overheard her make a racial slur, and she got rejected everywhere though she had great stats/ECs. Basically some part of your application that sticks out in a very bad way.

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Stay toasty my friends.

With this high GPA, you shouldn't bother with any non-North American school, because by going there, you will most likely shoot yourself in the foot.

Archived