Premed 101 Forums

How do you accept different views?

thehockeykid

I can't help in being very judgemental when people around me do stuff.

-spending 30dollars on lottery tickets every week

-talking to the automated messaging machines at mcdonalds

-buying maps of walking trails that you will never use

-keeping a bunch of flyers, business cards etc that you will never use

-running a red light cause you weren't watching the road but was watching your garmin gps

-texting while you are driving

-stopping traffic because you saw an ad on a car for a handyman

-buying coworkers lunch every other day and complaining how you dont have enough money

-buying into the blueray hype thinking it is so much better than dvds

-buying tv shows from itunes meanwhile you have netflicks, a satellite dish with pvr, and an internet connection

-running a red light cause you weren't watching the road but was watching your garmin gps

-buying coworkers lunch every other day and complaining how you dont have enough money

-buying tv shows from itunes meanwhile you have netflicks, a satellite dish with pvr, and an internet connection

:S Kind of just sounds like someone needed to vent.

Anyways, I'm not necessarily saying people should do those things, but there are fairly reasonable explanations for all of them. Except maybe the lottery ticket one. And *maybe* the hoarding one.

Stop worrying about everyone else and focus on yourself

Why should you care about what they do?

I usually do it by recognizing that I also do a lot of things that make no sense from the outside. We all have our foibles, and admitting to our own makes it easier to tolerate them in others.

I generally believe that any given person is doing the best they can with their life at any given moment. It may not be optimal, or the way I would do it (which are two different things), but it's the best they can do. I think that most people are more good than bad.

I usually do it by recognizing that I also do a lot of things that make no sense from the outside. We all have our foibles, and admitting to our own makes it easier to tolerate them in others.

I generally believe that any given person is doing the best they can with their life at any given moment. It may not be optimal, or the way I would do it (which are two different things), but it's the best they can do. I think that most people are more good than bad.

lol sounds like the mom from "room" by emma donoghue. "most people are a mix of both good and bad" lololol. pointless contribution. sorry.

It doesn't sound to me like you have a live-and-let-live attitude. Most doctors I have seen have a live-and-let-live attitude.

People do things that are aggravating or even blatantly stupid (i.e. smoking) all the time. Do you think that, as a future doctor, you will have the time in the day to get into arguments with people about these things that they do? Rhetorical question: no you will not.

There was a great episode of Scrubs in the first season where Dr. Cox went over this with JD about a smoker who kept coming to the hospital for emphysema. In Dr. Cox's fashion, he told JD to stick to his guns no matter what, but not to be a vocal nanny who tells the patient what to do all the time.

Get used to this OP, thats people for you.

Archived