Premed 101 Forums

For anyone considering a second undergrad

Thought I'd make this thread so we can all share the experience of doing a second undergrad to anyone considering it. Into the first few days of my 2nd UG, the biggest thing I notice is the age differences in most of the classes, which really makes you think about the backwardness of this plan. A major change I have noticed is my mind set, since you voluntarily chose to go back and spend the thousands of dollars doing so, I can't help but feel a little more eager to get a high GPA so I won't have any regret after this, especially since I was accepted into an MSc at McGill and chose this option instead. Will keep updating if there is interest, and please if anyone else is starting or finish a 2nd UG share your experience and mindsets as well!

Starting my second and final year of my second undergrad here. I definitely agree about the age gap. Not going to lie, that eagerness will push you to limits you never thought possible. At the same time, It is a lot of pressure and stress because there just isn't any room for failure or sub par grades because you're basically trying to make up for your shortcomings.

Starting my second and final year of my second undergrad here. I definitely agree about the age gap. Not going to lie, that eagerness will push you to limits you never thought possible. At the same time, It is a lot of pressure and stress because there just isn't any room for failure or sub par grades because you're basically trying to make up for your shortcomings.

I can definitely imagine the level of stress associated with this path because of the exact reasons you mentioned. How did the first year of your 2nd UG go, did you get the marks you were aiming for?

Yep, I took a full course load 5 each semester and all of them senior level 300/200 levels. I used a strategy where I designed a schedule that reflected my strengths and interests. Ended up with a 3.97 University of Alberta and 3.94 OMSAS GPA. But yeah, I definitely gave it all I had, didn't waste a single day, minute or second. I never stayed up late. Trimmed my social circle so I only have some a few friends that have always been close to me and are as motivated as me (three of them are already in medicine). So they help a lot. I also work out religiously, wake up early at 530 every morning and that gives me a boost for the rest of the day.

I surprised myself because I always said I was going to get the 4.0 but being actually able to achieve that gave me exactly the confidence boost I needed and now I am more focused and working harder than I ever have in my entire life.

I am very worried this upcoming year though because I am doing way more EC's applying to four schools while trying to repeat or do even better than last year academically. But just going to take it one step at a time like I did last year. Its nice to have contact with people that are also doing the same thing as us though. We should have a thread where all us second undergraders help each other out and vent about some of the frustrations of the process :P.

Yep, I took a full course load 5 each semester and all of them senior level 300/200 levels. I used a strategy where I designed a schedule that reflected my strengths and interests. Ended up with a 3.97 University of Alberta and 3.94 OMSAS GPA. But yeah, I definitely gave it all I had, didn't waste a single day, minute or second. I never stayed up late. Trimmed my social circle so I only have some a few friends that have always been close to me and are as motivated as me (three of them are already in medicine). So they help a lot. I also work out religiously, wake up early at 530 every morning and that gives me a boost for the rest of the day.

I surprised myself because I always said I was going to get the 4.0 but being actually able to achieve that gave me exactly the confidence boost I needed and now I am more focused and working harder than I ever have in my entire life.

I am very worried this upcoming year though because I am doing way more EC's applying to four schools while trying to repeat or do even better than last year academically. But just going to take it one step at a time like I did last year. Its nice to have contact with people that are also doing the same thing as us though. We should have a thread where all us second undergraders help each other out and vent about some of the frustrations of the process :P.

I LOVE THIS!

I am so glad I am not the only one whom is starting to trim away the negatives in my life.

I started my second undergraduate degree on Sept 4 2012 and am EAGER!

I work 3 days a week and volunteer as well so I know its going to be tricky! But thanks for the post - motivational :)

Thought I'd make this thread so we can all share the experience of doing a second undergrad to anyone considering it. Into the first few days of my 2nd UG, the biggest thing I notice is the age differences in most of the classes, which really makes you think about the backwardness of this plan. A major change I have noticed is my mind set, since you voluntarily chose to go back and spend the thousands of dollars doing so, I can't help but feel a little more eager to get a high GPA so I won't have any regret after this, especially since I was accepted into an MSc at McGill and chose this option instead. Will keep updating if there is interest, and please if anyone else is starting or finish a 2nd UG share your experience and mindsets as well!

same here.... best decision of my life

see you in med school :P

Hey guys,

I finished my second undergrad at Mac in April. Similarly to all of you I was very eager to get it going and it continued throughout. And you definitely notice the age difference/maturity level once you come back. I took on organizational/leadership roles in pretty much everything I did and I actually found it quite natural, whereas in my first ug I was more of a follower. In this process, you definitely will notice your maturity when compared to much younger group members, who frankly at times seemed very timid.

I finished with a 3.95 and 3.9 in my two years, and now I am much more optimistic of my chances. I was worried because it was a program structured around essay-based courses, yet it turned out quite well. My suggestion to you all is to be friendly with your instructors and TA's, which will help you in understanding their expectations, but will also help the teacher's put a face to a name.

I too decreased my social life but not to the point where it was non-existent and I took on more extra-curricular activities. I think in the end your drive to succeed will push you through, and many things will fit in place. If a 17 year old can come into university and pull off a 3.9+, so can anyone who is 22+ with experience and the motivation of correcting past mistakes behind them.

Good luck to you guys :)

same here.... best decision of my life

see you in med school :P

I'm actually really glad to read that, very nice of you.

Update: The glowing enthusiasm is starting to fade and I feel like I might slip back to my old lazy habits if I don't start to push myself pretty hard to stay up to date with all the readings ASAP. Hopefully I don't fall behind (fingers crossed). I think the biggest test will be the first round of midterms coming up, if I can manage to ace all those that will be a massive boost to my morale right now.

Very motivating, thanks for your input!

Nice to see it payed off for you. I completely agree with what you say as well, if a 17 year old can get that 3.9+ GPA no reason for a 22 y.o+ who already has a bachelors degree not to do the same.

Hey guys,

I finished my second undergrad at Mac in April. Similarly to all of you I was very eager to get it going and it continued throughout. And you definitely notice the age difference/maturity level once you come back. I took on organizational/leadership roles in pretty much everything I did and I actually found it quite natural, whereas in my first ug I was more of a follower. In this process, you definitely will notice your maturity when compared to much younger group members, who frankly at times seemed very timid.

I finished with a 3.95 and 3.9 in my two years, and now I am much more optimistic of my chances. I was worried because it was a program structured around essay-based courses, yet it turned out quite well. My suggestion to you all is to be friendly with your instructors and TA's, which will help you in understanding their expectations, but will also help the teacher's put a face to a name.

I too decreased my social life but not to the point where it was non-existent and I took on more extra-curricular activities. I think in the end your drive to succeed will push you through, and many things will fit in place. If a 17 year old can come into university and pull off a 3.9+, so can anyone who is 22+ with experience and the motivation of correcting past mistakes behind them.

Good luck to you guys :)

• 1 month later...

Had my first round of mid-terms last month. They all went very well.

Second round of mid-terms coming up with 5 mid-terms in two weeks and 4 assignments/ lab reports (10 page each) coming up along with med apps and volunteering, it has been super busy.

I am basically holed up in the library but trying my best to take it one step at a time and not get overwhelmed. Keeping my eye on the prize. This is just an update.

Stay strong everyone! and How are you guys doing?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm strongly considering a second undergrad. How low were some of your marks prior to the second undergrad? I'm worried mine may be too low. I messed around so much and was so disengaged from life during my first undergrad. Totally my own fault, there weren't any extenuating circumstances that led to this; I was just...lacking anything resembling a work ethic.

Hey my marks were very low in first undergrad at some points...one year I had a 2.44 gpa. I was also disengaged and probably partied way too much for my own good. My cumulative gpa with the second undergrad is only 3.48, so if I would be fortunate to get into schools that look at cumulative gpa/eliminate one year. However, my two year gpa from my 2nd undergrad is competitive for the schools that do forgive earlier years so I am hopeful. As I mentioned, I completed my second undergrad in a very essay based program, so I was really worried about subjectivity and would have much preferred the typical science courses of straight memorization and regurgitation. However, I ended up doing well, which to me confirms that it is really about your motivation to succeed. I would definitely encourage anyone considering doing a second undergrad to do it if their gpa is below par.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree with you, at the end of the day, it 100% comes down to the motivation and amount of work you put in.

Hey my marks were very low in first undergrad at some points...one year I had a 2.44 gpa. I was also disengaged and probably partied way too much for my own good. My cumulative gpa with the second undergrad is only 3.48, so if I would be fortunate to get into schools that look at cumulative gpa/eliminate one year. However, my two year gpa from my 2nd undergrad is competitive for the schools that do forgive earlier years so I am hopeful. As I mentioned, I completed my second undergrad in a very essay based program, so I was really worried about subjectivity and would have much preferred the typical science courses of straight memorization and regurgitation. However, I ended up doing well, which to me confirms that it is really about your motivation to succeed. I would definitely encourage anyone considering doing a second undergrad to do it if their gpa is below par.

Thank you for the update! First round of midterms went very well for me, pulling off an A+ in everything for the first time in my life! :) Now the last hurdle, finals, are fast approaching so trying to start preparing early. How did the second round of mids go for you?

Had my first round of mid-terms last month. They all went very well.

Second round of mid-terms coming up with 5 mid-terms in two weeks and 4 assignments/ lab reports (10 page each) coming up along with med apps and volunteering, it has been super busy.

I am basically holed up in the library but trying my best to take it one step at a time and not get overwhelmed. Keeping my eye on the prize. This is just an update.

Stay strong everyone! and How are you guys doing?

I'm strongly considering a second undergrad. How low were some of your marks prior to the second undergrad? I'm worried mine may be too low. I messed around so much and was so disengaged from life during my first undergrad. Totally my own fault, there weren't any extenuating circumstances that led to this; I was just...lacking anything resembling a work ethic.

My cGPA from my first undergrad was roughly a 2.1, with my 4th year of my first undergrad under 1.0.

The path to come back from this is very hard and takes lots of luck. It is possible, but you have to be certain it's what you want and able to accept that despite everything you do it might not work out. Have a backup plan.

Also, glad to hear a lot of you second undergraders are doing so well, the biggest hurdle in coming back to school is being able to correct whatever went wrong in the first place and succeed - congratulations and keep up the hard work (it pays off!!!)

Hey loodogg! Good to hear that you're finding success in your endeavours as well. Isn't it amazing what you can achieve by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and going for what you want?

Second round went well overall. I have 4 A+'s in four of my classes. I didn't study as well as I could have for one of them so I am sitting at B+/A- in that class. But I am being proactive and prepping early for the final. I hope to get an A- in that at least.

When are finals for you? I am getting a huge break between my mid terms and finals so I am kinda get lazy but I forced myself to study this weekend anyway lol!

• 1 month later...
My cGPA from my first undergrad was roughly a 2.1, with my 4th year of my first undergrad under 1.0.

The path to come back from this is very hard and takes lots of luck. It is possible, but you have to be certain it's what you want and able to accept that despite everything you do it might not work out. Have a backup plan.

Also, glad to hear a lot of you second undergraders are doing so well, the biggest hurdle in coming back to school is being able to correct whatever went wrong in the first place and succeed - congratulations and keep up the hard work (it pays off!!!)

hey thanks for the words of wisdom! Looks like it payed off for you. Would love to hear more about your non-trad path if you have time. Could use all the motivation possible!

Hey loodogg! Good to hear that you're finding success in your endeavours as well. Isn't it amazing what you can achieve by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and going for what you want?

Second round went well overall. I have 4 A+'s in four of my classes. I didn't study as well as I could have for one of them so I am sitting at B+/A- in that class. But I am being proactive and prepping early for the final. I hope to get an A- in that at least.

When are finals for you? I am getting a huge break between my mid terms and finals so I am kinda get lazy but I forced myself to study this weekend anyway lol!

Hey! So finals are over and I pulled my weight, couldn't keep the A+ average though but it's ok I tried. How did you end up doing in that last class you were unsure of?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey loodog!

So last semester was a nightmare, all due to that one clinical psychology course. It had a high class average and I didn't do well on the first mid term which really made it hard for me to do well in it. I studied my ass off for the final, which I got a 91% on but my overall mark came up to 83.5% (84% was an A-) .Anyway it really put a dent in my GPA (the others were 3 A+ and 1 A). Anyway, I am not sweating it since I need a 3.85 this year overall to qualify for uOttawa which has been my goal. This semester looks way better course wise and without the added stress of med school applications, I think a 3.9 is very do able for me.

Anyways, good to hear that you did well. How is your next semester looking? What are your goals in terms of GPA?

Cheers

Honestly I wouldn't sweat at all, one A- is not an issue. I went into finals with an A+ in almost all my courses but ended up with 2A+, 1A and 1A- and another A or A+ haven't got my mark yet. Overall I'm happy and it gave me a lot of confidence because I've never actually had a semester of straight As. Anyway congrats on reaching the last leg of your 2nd ug! Be proud!

This semester I'm a little unsure of. I need to take 12 classes next year to finish the 2nd ug in time incase I get in anywhere, I was going to do 2 in the summer along with the MCAT but I decided to add a 6th course this semester instead, so I'm a little nervous as to whether I'm shooting myself in the foot or making a rational decision here. I figure if it gets too much I can just drop a class though, I just didn't want to take 2 summer courses AND study for the mcat at the same time.

Hey loodog!

So last semester was a nightmare, all due to that one clinical psychology course. It had a high class average and I didn't do well on the first mid term which really made it hard for me to do well in it. I studied my ass off for the final, which I got a 91% on but my overall mark came up to 83.5% (84% was an A-) .Anyway it really put a dent in my GPA (the others were 3 A+ and 1 A). Anyway, I am not sweating it since I need a 3.85 this year overall to qualify for uOttawa which has been my goal. This semester looks way better course wise and without the added stress of med school applications, I think a 3.9 is very do able for me.

Anyways, good to hear that you did well. How is your next semester looking? What are your goals in terms of GPA?

Cheers

This semester I'm a little unsure of. I need to take 12 classes next year to finish the 2nd ug in time incase I get in anywhere, I was going to do 2 in the summer along with the MCAT but I decided to add a 6th course this semester instead, so I'm a little nervous as to whether I'm shooting myself in the foot or making a rational decision here.

Why do you need to finish the second undergrad? For Western?

I would be careful with 6 courses. It's doable, but if you take on too much and your GPA suffers (and really, in a second undergrad anything below about a 3.8 is "suffering"), the consequences are brutal.

Give yourself every opportunity to get the highest GPA possible, don't be a hero.

Yea for western. I've been working ahead to manage for 6 courses, I think its under control for now but you are right that's what keeps going through my head, I'm trying to get the highest GPA and taking 6 courses won't help me. But again I don't want to take 2 courses in the summer with MCAT, or keep this second undergrad dragging on for more than 2 years.

I found an easier course with just 2 midterms and a final to take as my 6th, I figured I'd try it out and if it's too much I can drop, do you think I should just play it safe and go with 5?

Why do you need to finish the second undergrad? For Western?

I would be careful with 6 courses. It's doable, but if you take on too much and your GPA suffers (and really, in a second undergrad anything below about a 3.8 is "suffering"), the consequences are brutal.

Give yourself every opportunity to get the highest GPA possible, don't be a hero.

I am afraid that I gotta agree with Simpy on this Loodogg. It's simply not worth the risk. For example, just even thinking about /spending time on your sixth course takes away precious time and attention that you could be diverting towards your other 5 courses. Your undergrad taking longer than 2 years is a way better option than you getting a less than 3.8 GPA. Let's face it even if you do subpar on a single mid-term, it creates an uphill battle and unnecessary stress. A single B+ can drop your GPA significantly.

2 courses + MCAT is so doable. Studying for MCAT alone gets very boring. But if you have two courses that you're taking, it keeps things fresh. Also you could take courses that are relevant to MCAT content (biochem/genetics etc). I personally worked full time, took a psychology course and studied for MCAT. Even thought it was hard, it was very doable with efficient time management.

Anyway, this is my opinion. In the end it's up to you to choose.

Cheers.

Archived