Premed 101 Forums

must have research assistant experience?

kwyhan

i'm in 4th year now of undergrad, and I never had a research assistant position.. unfortunately. I was a research volunteer for 8 months, did some lab work for volunteering, but never had a paid job. I really want to work on a specific research project and applied to multiple RA positions but still haven't heard from them. It's been about a week now.

I am probably at an extreme disadvantage, considering I never had a paid research assistant position, right? (and in fourth year! :()

Any feedback/opinions is appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Like everyone said, you don't always need research positions to get into professional schools, but if you do it's a bonus. You are quite fortunate to even get a volunteer position which is quite good.

In my opinion volunteer and payed positions are often tougher to get than NSERCs since the prof. has to look at your GPA + resume + cover letter and interview. Whereas, NSERC they look at your marks and its primarily based on that. I hope this helps, good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...
i'm in 4th year now of undergrad, and I never had a research assistant position.. unfortunately. I was a research volunteer for 8 months, did some lab work for volunteering, but never had a paid job. I really want to work on a specific research project and applied to multiple RA positions but still haven't heard from them. It's been about a week now.

I am probably at an extreme disadvantage, considering I never had a paid research assistant position, right? (and in fourth year! :()

Any feedback/opinions is appreciated.

Sounds to me like you have "research assistant" experience. It doesn't matter if you did the work for pay or volunteer. It was the same work right?

Part of getting jobs is how you sell yourself. You should be selling yourself as someone with 8 months of research experience.

Archived