Premed 101 Forums

Type of publication?

justifyd

If you didn't publish anything as 1st or 2nd (or even 3rd.. ect..) why would you put anything under publications. If you didn't produce original work, or contribute substantially to the publication than obviously you get no credit. BTW, helping grad students collect data doesn't really contribute to a publication cause you did not produce any original work/ theory, you just kinda did what you were instructed to do.

Publishing original work is time consuming and difficult, so I really don't understand why you are upset, when it sounds for the OP that you really didn't produce anything.

ABS

If you didn't publish anything as 1st or 2nd (or even 3rd.. ect..) why would you put anything under publications. If you didn't produce original work' date=' or contribute substantially to the publication than obviously you get no credit. BTW, helping grad students collect data doesn't really contribute to a publication cause you did not produce any original work/ theory, you just kinda did what you were instructed to do.

Publishing original work is time consuming and difficult, so I really don't understand why you are upset, when it sounds for the OP that you really didn't produce anything.

ABS[/quote']

Under the research section you cant submit it if the Type of Publication section is empty.

Summer research- said they'd use it as the abstract to some article they were gonna publish

As someone else said earlier, if your name was not mentioned as one of the authors, then it's not considered a publication.

It's really considered exceptional (at least IMO) if you can get a publication as an undergrad.

As far as I know, this always means peer-reviewed publications (i.e. published in a peer-reviewed journal). I have one from undergrad, but it took another year after graduating for it to go through the whole process and actually get published. So I agree that for someone who's not yet done undergrad to apply with a pub would be pretty rare (and most probably not a first-author).

Exactly this.

Publishing is hard work and a long, drawn-out process. What people don't usually realize is that most publications take ~ 6 months from submission to publication. This is because:

Submit (finally, after all authors agree on the manuscript and your prof finally says yes and that no more experiments are needed).

Journal decides whether to send for review - 1 week.

Reviewers read and judge quality of paper - at least 4 weeks.

It is INCREDIBLY rare (as in minute chances) that a paper is accepted without any changes. MOST of the time, the reviewers ask for more, then will reconsider.

Make changes to publication - often includes additional experiments - 1-3 months.

Submit revised manuscript. Journal sends back to reviewers.

Reviewer look at revisions - could be as long as a month again.

Journal makes decision on publication. If no, either rejected without further consideration or MORE revisions required.

If yes, journal sends paper to publication team who then provide a provisional version back to the authors.

Authors usually have a couple days to respond. (Overall about a week process).

Then paper is finalized. Most of the time the journal will post the paper within a week of accepted (finalized or not). Some journals wait till their next edition.

THIS is why it's a royal pain in the a** to publish.

So within-curriculum research courses where you gotta write a review paper, would not really go into any category other than "Other (where you can't add additional info anyhow)" then?

I think that's up to you. Most people I think though use "other" to say things like "hiking" "bird-watching" "cooking" etc. b/c it doesn't need a verifier. I'm not sure about research courses and related papers...so long I guess you can fit it into the "description" box.

I think that's up to you. Most people I think though use "other" to say things like "hiking" "bird-watching" "cooking" etc. b/c it doesn't need a verifier. I'm not sure about research courses and related papers...so long I guess you can fit it into the "description" box.

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread, but people put cooking on their application? :confused:

Archived