Premed 101 Forums

Paid in 4th year? stipend?

Guest EngineerwMasters

Guest EngineerwMasters

I was reading the Student manual from last year, and here is what I found..

"STIPEND

The remuneration paid to student interns is limited to the final twelve months of the program and is subject to the allocation of these funds by the Government of Alberta. This remuneration is subject to satisfactory performance and conduct by the student intern. Payment is arranged through the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education. This payment can only be direct deposited into the student intern’s bank account."

Are we actually paid a nominal amount, or are only top students? Can any current 4th years comment?

THanks!

Guest summervirus

Hi, I'm starting my fourth year.

I think beginning in May/April, everyone in my class starting receiving roughly $280 monthly for our stipend. Starting last year when clerkship first began in September, we were also paid something like $4.50 for each time we were on call.

Guest marbledust
Starting last year when clerkship first began in September, we were also paid something like $4.50 for each time we were on call.

I guess that is better than a kick in the pants (a favorite saying of my grandfather)...admittedly not very much better. But at least enough to buy a large latte while on-call :P

Guest summervirus

Haha, you're right. I remember being extremely disappointed when I discovered that the $4.50 wasn't even enough to buy myself dinner at the cafeteria when on-call.

Guest medicator007

Eesh thats rough....

We dont get a stipend at mcgill, but at the very least they cover our meals when we are on call.

Medicator

Archived