Premed 101 Forums

Buying Condos/townhouses

Guest MedAnxiety

Guest MedAnxiety

Hi, I was looking at the above thread, but they didn't have any specific places/buildings that I can purchase a condo. Does anyone know of any nice, cheap condos that are close to campus? Thank you in advance!

Guest hash

Hey,

Your best bet should be http://www.mls.ca

Click on the map, and navigate to 'southwest' edmonton, and zone 15 is where the university is. The UofA hospital is right by 87th ave and 112th st.

Hope that helps.

Guest hash

no probs.

also... some of the places of saskatchewan drive are pretty nice. They're mostly highrise condos, and some are a bit old, but have great views of the river valley and city.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

MA,

I bought my first condo about five blocks from the hospital in August of last year (just finished first year med). I have to tell you, the easiest thing to do is to get a realtor to do your looking for you. I tried to do it myself, and when I called realtors to set up viewings (ie: I wanted to look at a condo they were selling - also courtesy of mls.ca), many realtors didn't really want to deal with me b/c I had no realtor to go through....I think I managed to set up appointments to see all of two or three condos out of like ten I wanted to see. I eventually contacted a realtor (suggested to me by another student) who setup everything for me...he even picked me up at my hotel and drove me to all the condos to show them to me....explained the way the streets/avenues worked in Edmonton, gave me maps of Ed. etc....and when the time came where I found the condo I wanted, he drove back and forth between my hotel and the sellers house finishing up paperwork and driving back and forth offers, until everything was closed...I wanted a quick buy b/c classes were starting in less than a month.

That is my suggestion to you, and if you want I can email you the realtors contact info....he deals with mostly Uni students/sales in the Uni area....

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are hoping to spend, but be aware that if you are looking for something "newer" and close to the Uni, you will be paying a high price for it.

Good Luck,

Jenn

Guest chemgirl

Hey there,

Try comfree.ca (or comfree.com?) as well. Those condos are for sale by owner.

I bought a condo in a building called Heritage House. The condos are a lot "cheaper" than something new (although nothing by the Uni is very cheap), but ours was newly renovated, so it feels new, KWIM? It is on 83rd ave and 105th street, which is about 20 minutes away from the hospital on foot (but I am a slow walker!). Another "cheaper" building that I know of is Varscona Tower, which is a lot closer, and a block from Safeway, so very convenient.

Getting a realtor will help a lot because I think mls listings are only availiable to the public after the listing has been on the market for a few days, and at this time of year, condos may start going quickly in the university area.

Good luck!

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

MA,

check your email, I sent you the realtor contact info.

Good luck! You are doing things "smartly" as this is the prime time of summer to start looking, there wasn't much when I started looking end of July, last summer.

Jenn

Guest MedAnxiety

Thanks Chemgirl and Jenn, you two have been a great help. I plan to come out to Edmonton in mid June so hopefully I can purchase something nice and cheap by then.

See you soon!

MA

Guest Apna

Yeah, I rented for first year and now I just bought a condo at the end of the year. Close to the uni, most buildings will be older and quite expensive compared to elsewhere in the city. Lots of people in our class who have cars bought condos further south or west because you get more for your money. Downtown is also more affordable, and is a short LRT ride away. I personally wanted something walking distance away so I waited very patiently til I found the right place.

A decent building near campus that is fairly priced with reasonable condo fees is Strathcona House on the corner of Saskatchewan Drive and 109 st... I've looked at a few places there and a few meds and dents live there. If you happen to be doing well financially (or have parents who are), there's some great buildings along 111 st., literally a minute or two from the hospital. Other than that, the resources the others have mentioned are very valuable, as is a little bit of luck. With that said, good luck!

Guest Jas001

there's a couple condo's for sale in a building on 76th ave and 109st, where a friend of mine just moved in. He looked around the entire UofA area and found it to be the best value (low condo fees) based on size (about 1100 sq feet for a two bedroom) and distance from UofA and Whyte Ave. I've lived 3 blocks away for 4 years and its only a 15 minute walk to the hospital

I might have a room for rent in my place (110st and 79th ave) for around $300 a month, depending on whether a friend moves in. The house is completely renovated and there would only be myself and my sister living there. I'll be most likely starting here in med in aug.

jas

Guest kantu

hey,

i want to get a place to move in to late august, just renting. someone in this thread mentioned that by late july a lot of places were already taken.

when is a good time to look for rentals? would now (end of june) be too early? i plan on going out to edmonton first week in july, but if i could find a place end of june it would be even better.

thanks for your help.

Guest fluidity2

Hi Kantu

I started looking for a rental last year at the end of June and there was lots available. I ended up finding a place the weekend I started looking (2 bdrm basement suite, cheap, 4 blocks from the hospital). The only thing was that I had to pay for July and August because the landlord would not negotiate.

When I moved here at the end of August, there were still lots of for rent signs up but I don't really know what the price/condition of the places were. I know of a number of classmates who were pulled off the waitlist at the end of July who found great places close to the university at that time.

Do you know what you are looking for in a rental? How much do you want to spend. A lot of medical students tend to live in Garneau Towers, 1 block east from the university, kind of behind Tim Horton's. It is about $735 for a 1 bedroom plus utilities and they are advertising right now.

Hope this helps.

~K

Guest apical meristems

Hey kantu,

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but did you apply to Alberta Dent this year? Or are you doing Med? I think I remember you.

Later,

ap

Guest kantu

haha, yeah, i actually applied to both med and dent but decided that i preferred dent. (no offense to the meds here - just a personal choice)

i figured med board probably gets more traffic.

anyways. i don't want to spend too much on rent, but i want to find a decent place. i think i have fairly low standards due to res living and my current basement suite situation. i'm looking for a place on my own. basement might be ok.

thanks.

Guest apical meristems

Fun,

We're going to be dentee classmates! Good luck finding a home and see you in September. Wait, August. :P

Cheers,

ap

Hi folks,

I posted this earlier, but I think it was lost in the recent debacle on this site. I have been accepted to med school in Calgary this upcoming year, but my girlfriend and I own a house in Edmonton. She is currently finishing up her Masters at the U of A, and intends to stay in the house (I will commute on weekends). We would like to find her a female roomate for the upcoming year.

It's a big, beautiful house on the south side of Edmonton. Remodeled, bathrooms for everyone, huge yard. It's a couple minutes walk to the bus stop, and about a 15 min drive to the University campus in heavier traffic. For any of you allergic folks out there...we own a cat as well. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give you further details and our contact info.

I'd put this in the housing forum, but it looks like there's no activity there lately.

Thanks all (and congrats to everyone)...

J

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chushmy

Hey,

I was thinking of buying earlier but it looks like I may not be able to afford it. Can anyone suggest any apartments/townhomes for rent within walking distance from the University that are 'economical', safe, and clean? Also, those of you that are renting, what kind of rent ranges do most people pay near the campus? Thanks!:)

Guest hash

Hey Jas001,

I'm interested in the place that you have for rent. Could you send a msg to my ezInbox with your e-mail address.

Thanks.

Guest smalltownchic

Hi,

I am a first year med student who is interested in buying a condo, but am wondering how you are able to get a mortgage if you don't have a job? My bank guy said I needed 25% down, and that it could not come from my LOC. Is this right? Or is my bank guy being an ass?

Guest epzi

Your not supposed to use your LOC for the downpayment, but generally all you have to do is transfer however much you need into your account from your LOC and then show the balance to your bank, I don't think it should be a problem, I bought my place with 30,000 down from my LOC

Archived